Help With Behringer Xenyx 502 analog mixer

Seth Wheat

I just bought this mixer sunday. its a behringer xenyx 502 analog mixer. i wanted to get it for my podcasts. everything works on it & everything is hooked up right, but I'm not hearing any playback from my voice on my podcasts. Just my music. Am I doing something wrong or do I need more things for this???? I'm new to this so please go easy on me.

Hi,
You'll need to give us a bit more info on how you're set up.

Tell us the full signal path an intended destination.
Where does the music come from? Some recording software? iPod into mixer?
Are you recording/editing these podcasts or is it a live stream thing?
Anything at all that you think will help, do tell. :)

i have my mixer hooked up with a usb interface. i do podcasts off of a website called spreaker.com where you can do live streaming. i have the rca cables going from the input & output going in to the usb interface. all of my music comes from my laptop.

Ok, so you want to have music being played from the laptop, through the mixer, and back out of the mixer into the streaming software via your interface, right?
You also want to have your voice going through the mixer to the same destination?

Where are you monitoring from? The mixer or the interface?

What kind of mic are you using? Does it require phantom power and does the 502 provide phantom power?
I'm not sure that it does.

I'm using a Dynamic microphone. My mixer doesn't require phantom power.

You're using an XLR to XLR cable, rather than XLR to jack, right?
The jack input expects a line or instrument level which is much greater than the signal put out by a microphone.

When you plug in the mic and turn up the level and gain and tap the mic or speak into it, do the meters on the mixer light up at all?

I'm using XLR to jack. That would make sense then. So I'm assuming that I have to have a microphone that's gotta have an XLR Cable, correct???

Yup, that's definitely the problem.
The jack input expects a much hotter signal than the mic can put out.

You need a mic with an XLR output, some sort of adapter, or to rewire your mic (if it's hard-wired to jack).

You said the LED meters are lighting up, though, which is strange.
Was the music and everything else turned off when you tested?

Nope. Everything was on. Like I said though, my music was coming in clear through my headphones when I played everything back. Just not my voice.

Nope. Everything was on. Like I said though, my music was coming in clear through my headphones when I played everything back. Just not my voice.

Makes sense. I should have said kill the music (so the meters aren't lighting up) then test the mic.
I very much doubt you'll get any activity with mic to jack input.

Back