Fun video featuring an Ampex 440-8

Over time, depending on the tape stock and the levels printed to tape, it is not uncommon for "print through" to occur, which is a phenomenon where flux from one layer of tape can bleed to the adjacent layer. The creates, in the worst cases, a faint but audible echo. Storing tails-out causes the echo to occur after the source material, which is more natural sounding; less obvious. The opposite occurs when winding as normal onto the supply reel, which results in a pre-echo.

There's that bottom cover I'm missing.

Great machine. :D Thanks for vid Corey.

Yeah, doesn't it just fry you when something like that is misplaced?? In one way I can understand how they do as its different when you are in a production environment and frequently needing to access stuff that is hidden by a cover...you get to a point where you are just like 'get this thing out of here!' The machine wasn't appreciated in the same most of us use and appreciate them now.

Many 440's in the Ampex roll-around are missing that cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many 440's in the Ampex roll-around are missing that cover.

You found the cover or the roll around?

I know what you're saying though. It's like buying a floor model at at a store. Especially when it's a high priced and limited item, you'd think they'd save the box, instructions, etc.. that comes with it. Doh!

Last edited by a moderator:
You found the cover or the roll around?

I know what you're saying though. It's like buying a floor model at at a store. Especially when it's a high priced and limited item, you'd think they'd save the box, instructions, etc.. that comes with it. Doh!

I found the cover. :eek:

It went like this...I got the 440-8 somewhat or maybe even just plain cannibalized...no, just somewhat...and the "belly pan" (that cover) was missing as well as the control box cover. It came with the roll-around, but the cover was missing. I was going great guns to refurbish it and Wayne had both covers...like, $80 shipped I think which is actually pretty reasonable AFAIC because the belly pan is pretty bulky you know? It had to come in a pretty big box.

So the roll-around for the 440-8 is a bit beat up...at some point last year I got a somewhat sad 440B full-track in a roll-around for like $90...no belly pan, but the roll around is a in prety good shape and it had a servo capstan...some pieces need fixed up on the roll around but those pieces happen to be good on the 440-8 roll-around so, take 'em apart and frankenstein them back together...voila, one really nice one and one very functional but so-so condition one. Haven't done the last part yet. :o But I'll keep the belly pan for the "good" one as I plan on loading my 440C in it which has loads of promise...VGC...will clean up smartly.

I found the cover. :eek:

It went like this...I got the 440-8 somewhat or maybe even just plain cannibalized...no, just somewhat...and the "belly pan" (that cover) was missing as well as the control box cover. It came with the roll-around, but the cover was missing. I was going great guns to refurbish it and Wayne had both covers...like, $80 shipped I think which is actually pretty reasonable AFAIC because the belly pan is pretty bulky you know? It had to come in a pretty big box.

So the roll-around for the 440-8 is a bit beat up...at some point last year I got a somewhat sad 440B full-track in a roll-around for like $90...no belly pan, but the roll around is a in prety good shape and it had a servo capstan...some pieces need fixed up on the roll around but those pieces happen to be good on the 440-8 roll-around so, take 'em apart and frankenstein them back together...voila, one really nice one and one very functional but so-so condition one. Haven't done the last part yet. :o But I'll keep the belly pan for the "good" one as I plan on loading my 440C in it which has loads of promise...VGC...will clean up smartly.

440 :cool: I got a B transport with the roll around I got from T Fine But I'm using the A I have because of course I have that adapter on my capstan and all the cards are set up for 15/30. Maybe I'll make another at some point. I've got a 1/4" head stack too.

Back