Fostex A-8 drive belt falling off

regebro

Insane Genious!
Three times now, my the capstan drive belt on my Fostex A-8 has fallen off. This happens "in between uses", not while I'm running it. And since it takes 15 minutes to open the damn thing up and put it on again, it's VERY annoying.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there anything I can do?

Sounds like your belt is "stretched". Perhaps you need something smaller and tighter.

New belt...

Belts stretch and then they fall off. Get a new one.... I have soaked a belt in some sort of astringent before... I think it was electronic switch cleaner. It did help for a couple of months but is only a quick fix.

Steve...R

They all do this. I replaced the belt and it still had this problem. I now leave the front housing off as the recorder is in a unit with a glass door in the front to reduce noise. It's not pretty but when the belt comes off you can put it right back--a 15 second operation. The other thing as you noted is when it does come off it's when you start the machine up. If you hold the capstan when starting the machine with your finger, just to take the jolt out, it won't pop off. I know someone else who crazy-glued a small flange to the outer part of the flywheel.

Tapehead,

That's really interesting.

I wonder if the motor or flywheel might be slightly un-parallel to each other. Any un-paralellism would tend to make the belt want to 'walk' off the pulleys. I think if the belt is too tight, it may possibly pull the pulleys slightly out of parallelism, too.

I agree with you, that it would seem very annoying. The solution of leaving the cover off, I'm sure is 'not pretty', but true, it's effective, but be careful it doesn't become a safety hazard, especially if you have little kids underfoot. The flange idea sounds good too.

I have Fostex's A8 and Model 80, as well as Tascam R-R's too. I've worked on both, under the covers. Once under the covers, I think the Fostex's transport reveals itself to be cheaply made, and definitely not on par with Tascam's transport. The Fostexes are functional, but the Tascams are definitely more rugged, more well made, and of a slightly higher caliber of engineering. That's just FYI, and no offense.

That being said, I hope you can resolve this flaky belt issue. Maybe report back to us if you find anything significant. I'd be curious to know.

No doubt, it's quite an unusual problem. Most of the time, belt issues are pretty straight forward and easy to resolve, but this problem might go beyond the belt.

PS, if something's out of parallelism, or askew on your Fostex, you might try to 'shim' it, a little at a time.

Good luck. DA

Little update: When I started it today, I noticed that the belt didn't fall off with the first start, but instead when the flywheel stopped. Thats interesting!

I'll run it without a frontplate to see what happens.

Back