Demag?

Herm

Im wanting to demag my heads on the 38 and am not sure about something.

Do you Bring the demagnatizer in and do one head then pull back and then go in and do another head or do you do all the heads and other parts with one pass?

Also I was messing with the 38 yesterday and trying to get some decent sounds out my drums, I dont know if i am happy with what im getting so if you go here and listen to tune let me know what you think about this drum sound thanks.

its under TUNE

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2850&alid=-1

Last edited:
Once in and once out is sufficient. Each time you approach, you undo the previous degaussing to a slight extent anyway.

Herm,

I checked out the little R&B groove you put together over at NWR. it sounds like a classic Chicago groove you have going there so far! I want to sing a mean vocal part in it and add a harmonica in there and a clean electric guitar, doing some licks to spice it up!

It's sounding pretty funky but the kit seems to lacking some high end and there is not a lot of thwack to the kick.

I also noted some phase issues on the cymbals. How are you Mic'ing the kit? Or, more to the point,is this a real kit or a machine?

Give me some details of what you were doing there and we will go from there to see how we can help tighten up the sound and get it a little punchier sounding!

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the reply fm. I hear the same thing, I think i need to spend alot more time on tuning my kit.

The micing is just two overheads mk 012 oktavas doing the fletcher method, 1 straight over the snare and the other to the right over my shoulder. And a atm25 inside the kick about 10 inches from the head. It seems like I always have a problem with the kick since i get more kick in the ov,s than I want.

When i mixed it down I did add some highs to the overheads and took out a little 315.
It seems like everything I mix always sounds like there is a blanket thrown over the speakers when i listen on other systems.

Im still using my alesis board and the 312 is going to be here tomarrow and I hope it will sound a little better than the alesis.
But Since it doesnt have phantom for my mics I will need to order a phantom supply for it. I would have done that already but I wanted to make sure the board was ok before i got it the supply.

Il take any kind of help getting a better sound, Any suggestions are welcome and will give any thing a try.

Thanks

Last edited:
Herm,

Your Mic positioning is what's causing the phasing and the loss of highs. You have to change that to get any improvement.

Try a standard 45 degree angle with both Mic's mounted on the same overhead stand. Get an adaptor to hold the two Mic's and be meticulous about the angle as if you are not, the phasing will come back in and your highs will disappear, no matter how you try to fix it with eq.

As for the kick drum, move the Mic closer to the outside skin as this will pick up a lower resonate frequency of the kick and put the front skin on if you have removed it. This will make the kick louder too.

Once you can afford it, add a forth small condenser mic to the snare and close Mic it from the top with about a 80 degree angle, (not quite straight down) about two inches from the skin.

If you do these things I suggested, I am sure you will get a totally better sound out of your kit.

A further clue and trick to get rid of the phasing;

When you are adjusting the overhead Mic's, Put on a pair of closed cup headphones and monitor the drums in mono so that you can hear the phasing or lack there-of when you adjust the angle of the Mic's.

It's almost like doing an azimuth adjustment on a cassette deck by ear, turning the screw until the highs come to their loudest point in mono through headphones and you know then that the highs will be there in stereo too. This is a trick an old engineer taught me more then 20 years ago.:cool:

Let us know how that works out and re-post the effort at NWR so we can see if it helped.

So the 312 and 320 don't have phantom power huh?
(I did not know this.)
Does Tascam make a phantom supply?

Last edited:
Billy,

The 300 series came out in two versions.

The original M308, M312 and M320 did NOT have phantom power.

The second, newer series which ended with the letter B , does have phantom power built and is switchable on each group of two inputs via a slide switch on the back panel, in-between every two inputs.

The B series also offered additional vu meters on the M320B model, with an additional 4 meters to bring the total to 10, 8 for tape returns and the last two on the far right for the stereo buss and other aux and effects sends that are switchable via push button in the master section on the right side of the desk.

That,s great that it has phantom but now the question is will it work with mic,s that say they need 48 volts to work?

Well i got the board today and hooked it up.
First thing I notice about this board Dam its heavy.
Second thing its in pretty good shape for its age.
Third I need a manual
Forth The number 5 channel does not work this would not be a big deal except the tape return does not work either, It plays back through the pfl and you can play track 5 back through the aux on the right hand side of the board but it wont send a signal with a mic and wont play back the track from the machine.

I know there are ways around this but Darn I have done alot of deals on ebay and never had a problem till the last three tascam items i bought and everyone of them there has been a problem.

Now we will see if the seller writes me back. I doubt it!

Herm,

Does the chanel 5 line in, 1/4" jack work? and just the balanced and RCA that don't?

Try some contact cleaner on the chanel on/off switch and the Mic/line switch to see if that kicks it in.

Good Luck! :)

Herm,

Also, if you got a non "B" version that doesn't have the phantom power, you'll need to get an external phantom power box that has an XLR connector for in and out, injected in-between the mic and the chanel input. They are not expensive and any half decent music shop should have them in stock or be able to order it in for you.

You will definitely need that to use a condenser Microphone with the board.

Well I spoke to soon. Channel 5 does pass audio out the direct output so that is a good thing atleast I can record with that channel.
Thanks for the suggestion there FM I did get the b model but I guess im confused about phantom power on these. I dont have a
manual yet so I dont know what the voltage is on this board or does it even matter?

Most of my mic,s say they require 48 volts but I have heard conflicting stories on this that they will get by fine with less.

I think I like this board! It does sound alot better than my alesis.

Last edited:
Herm,

The M312B's phantom power is a standard 48 volt so, no worries there at all about that.

Good news too about at least the direct out working!!

So, that means maybe a dirty switch on the stereo, (Orange) button or on the 1,2,3,4 buss buttons. Clean all of those and, with any luck, the chanel will come back fully functional.

Congratulations on getting the board. It is a great sounding and very versatile mixer you have there and the newer B version you have makes it even sweeter of a deal.

I would say, break out the bubbly! and as always...........

About the manual;

I do have one but it's like 200 pages with all the fold outs!!

Considering the phenomenal price you got on the board, spend a few bucks at TASCAM's parts department and order it.

You will learn so much about the mixer with it and have headaches and lots of confusion without it.

Back