Couple of 424MKIII Questions, DBX info

leddy

I just read in the manual that sub-sonic information can cause modulation of the program material during quiet passages.

I tend to use mics that have no problems picking up low end (Avenson omnis, Sennheiser MKH's, which are almost flat down to 20hz).

Am I going to have issues? What does the "modulation" sound like?

Also, I had planned to use my Sytek preamps to provide phantom power and gain. They can get pretty hot on the output. I'm not sure of the technical jargon to articulate my concern, so what do I need to check on and watch between the output of the Sytek and input of the Tascam? I read something about removing jumpers and changing the input of the Tascam from +10 to -4 or something. Can I bypass the preamps on the Tascam? Or are they pretty good? I could also buy pads for the output of the Sytek.

Anyone track with external preamps into a cassette 4-tracker have some advice?

Thanks.

I would think that it would be cheaper to just buy a phantom power supply for your machine and use the preamps that come with the 424. Unless you already have cords made to go from your sytek to the recorder.
As far as the dbx goes with the subsonics unless your going to be recording a bass heavy synth that will go that low there isnt much to worry about.
Even a 5 string bass recorded with dbx isnt really a problem unless you start hitting the levels to hot.

youll still need cables to go from a phantom power box to the 424. i dont see how that's any cheaper.

and the pres on the 424 probably don't sound anywhere near as good as the sytek.

i don't know much about -10 vs +4, just that if you feed a +4 signal into a -10 input you may overload the amplifier more quickly.

Is the solution to use a -20db pad between the sytek and 424?

As far as the cords go I guess i thought he may already have atleast two xlr cords. And I really doubt that bypassing one opamp in the tascam in favor of the opamps in the sytek is going to do much.
Your still going through most of the cheap electronics of a cassette unit and your not going to get away from that.

Back