Control Room Layout with a 'Big' Board

sr71rules

I had the floor plan of my studio all planned out and then I went it ruined it all buy buying the Tascam M3500. :spank:

The board is wonderful and certainly is going to take center stage in the control room but I'm a little lost as to how I'm going to manage to get a comfortable setup happening where I have easy access to everything I need.

My studio is a blend of digital and analog, as I'm sure many of yours are, and I need some help trying to figure out how to make it possible to access the M3500, a keyboard and mouse or trackball, Command|8 control surface and remotes for my tape machines.

Tell me if I'm crazy here and if you are in the same boat please feel free to jump in and explain how you've made it work!

I'd like to be able to sit in the 'sweet spot' behind the board and be able to reach all the oft accessed items above. If I setup the M3500 on a table surface I should be able to mount a keyboard/mouse tray beneath it. It would take some doing to find a height that worked for both the mixer and the keyboard. I find if eye level is too close to the height of the board it's impossible to use. I can't tell which knob is which and I have to get up to adjust everything. Granted, some functions will always be adjusted while standing but things like tweaking an Aux send should not require me to get up from the listening position.

The other option would be to build the M3500 into a desk that allowed for more depth before the bottom of the faders. This would allow me a better angle on the board and should prove workable for my wrists accessing the keyboard. The issue with that setup though is it pushes farther back all the functions of the board putting a few more items out of reach.

This still leaves the issue of where to put all the remotes. Perhaps the best idea would be to build a rolling cart to mount the Command|8 on? I use it a lot as the transport for my DAW so having it close at hand is a must. I suppose a could build 'wings' to hold a few other remotes. Would it be perhaps more comfortable to just mount these items on a 'L' shape surface perpendicular to the board? Sort of building my seating position into a U shape with gear racks?

I expect that most, perhaps all, sessions will make great use of the M3500 during tracking (I bought an inline console for a reason), not all sessions will use the board during mixing. If I have tracks on tape they will come through on the board of course, and I will at least try out using the M3500 for summing the DAW tracks but for the grueling bits where I'm editing in Protools or tweaking some plugins needs to also be comfortable. My last studio setup was much too digital focused and analog was treated like a second class citizen. I don't want the pendulum to swing too far the other way and make it difficult to work on the digital side. Perhaps some peoples experience in the same situation will be helping to helping me find control room nirvana.

In terms of space, it's not a major issue. I have an area of my house that is currently naught but a concrete slab with a covered set of dog kennels on it. The previous owner was a dog breeder. I plan to take the roughly 20x20 space and build it out to suit me and while I will be starting a thread in the 'Studio Building' section soon I wanted to put some focus on the heart of the studio before settling on wall positions and materials. Let the studio form around the workflow.

Robert

I use a 3500...it fits fine in my setup. :cool:
Check out my studio pics.

I've got a pair of LCD monitors...keyboard, trackball...remotes for my DAT, CD player and my two tape decks...all sitting there along with the 3500, happily together. :)
The only thing I don't have is a DA control surface...but then, I don't mix in the DAW, so it's not a real necessity.
When I'm just working in the DAW editing and whatnot...the keyboard comes up and fits on the 3500 over the faders. It's modified with some rubber feet that raise it over the faders...and the mouse/trackball has a special raised pad that also fits over the faders (you can kinda' see it in the pic).

The remotes for my tape decks are off to the side on a modified music stand (a Manhasset M48 stand), they're attached to the stand with Velcro tape strips. I can just pull the stand over when needed, or leave it out of the way off to the side...or I can pull a single remote off the stands...and then just Velcro it back when done.

I built all the racks and surrounding desk furniture (all the red/orange stuff) to exact specs for my room. You just have to get a little creative with your space and make it work.

If can’t make it work, and you want to get rid of the 3500…post it up here in the Analog Forum...I'm sure someone to take it off your hands quick enough. ;)

Oh...I track to tape...edit in the DAW...mix OTB throught 3500 and outboard processing.

I've been admiring the shots of your studio on your website for some time miroslav! I like the layout but just need to work in my Command|8 so I can use it for automation and transport. Do you do any automation? Do you just mouse it in? Interesting idea, putting little feet on the keyboard to allow it to clear the faders.. that's great!

I'd love to see a shot of your studio 'messy', in the middle of a mix.

Also.. I can't imagine parting with my M3500. I will find a way to make it work!

Robert

For automation - I simply set my levels by cutting the tracks into different sections based on where levels should be different, and then during editing (and many passes while editing) I'm always adjusting...adjusting...them...
...so by the time I'm actually mixing, each section of every track already has it's levels set where I want them.
I don't do the usual level automation points for the track where you mark them along an automation line the length of the whole track and then you pull it up/down for level changes. I'm instead adjusting levels for each cut/split piece of music (or as Samplitude calls them - Objects) within the track.
Samplitude has that typical level automation too, I just find this way works just as well for me because during editing, I end up cutting up the tracks quite a bit, so most of the works is done there, and then I just finish by setting the level for each cut/Object.
Basically, when I get to the OTB mix...my DAW is playing back the track with the right levels, and I rarely touch the faders at the 3500 once I set the relative gain levels for the overall mix balance.

And same thing goes for any other processing/fixing I need to do in the DAW...I do it at the Object level within each track. That's why I never saw any need for a control surface for the DAW. I can work really fast with my left hand on the keyboard using it's shortcuts, and my right hand on the trackball.

Anyway...if you gotta have the control surface...check out some of those roll-around laptop stands that folks use at home. that way you can raise the stand high enough so it's over the 3500 when you need it, and then just roll it off to the side when you don't.
(Here is one example: http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Computer-Stand-Black-2f-Silver/dp/B0013OHTEW)

With just the keyboard and trackball...I can still keep them at the 3500 during mixing...I just drop the keyboard down below the faders (as in the picture)

AFA a picture of my room "messy"... :D ...yeah, I can do that, but because it's not a HUGE space and it's pretty jammed up with amps, guitars, drums, organ, piano...and lots of other stuff besides the console and rack gear...
...I make it a point of picking up after myself as I work otherwise I'm tripping over stuff, though there are days when there's cabling all over the place and mics stands scattered all around.
The worst my console area gets is at the patchbays during mixing....there's dozens and dozens of patch cords making it all work. :)

Back