Cleaning rubber pinch rollers ...

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm wondering what you guys use when applying rubber cleaner to pinch rollers ? I'm not asking 'bout open reel ones 'cause it's pretty easy to just apply with a normal cloth. I'm interested in the little ones for the portastudios (244, 246 etc) . I assume it's not standard cotton swabs as these leave much lint etc .. So .... what do you use/recommend ?

THANKS!

Daniel :)

A foam swab would be best for that application. Radio-Shack used to sell them but if they don't, try your local electronic parts supplier for them.

Cheers! :)

hey Ghost, what do you think about the tascam 688 syncing problem?
I sync it with a mc-505 groovebox. They run together and all, but if I overdub on the tascam cassette(percussion and stuff), well the tape tracks seem to go off in timing.
Know what i'm saying?
Detroit.
Peace

Yes, I know what your saying!

The problem with the 688 and all its 8 track cassette based brethren is that half of the tracks on the head are ahead of the the other half because the track width is so narrow, there is not room to physically lay all 8 tracks in a single straight line so, if your production bounces stuff around, you can end up shifting the timing because of the lay out of how the tracks are staggered on the head itself.

Your best bet is not to bounce at all and try to build up midi sequenced tracks more so that you have everything lined up, first generation sound with no bounces.

If you can't see your way around that, it's time to consider a different deck like an open reel one like the TASCAM 38, 48, 58 or TSR-8 which are all half inch eight track open reel recorders that run at 15 ips and will blow away your cassette in fidelity for sure!

Cheers! :)

Back