Can you hear any difference?

altruistica

If you've been following any of my current threads, you'll know I have a hybrid setup now featuring a Tascam M3500 console, a 24track 1" reel to reel (at present TASCAM MSR24) and an RME UFX convertor / preamp.

I took some source material from an old Yamaha AW4416 demo recording (I haven't recorded any of the source material) and then tried out a couple of mixes. The 16 tracks of audio were played out of Propellerhead's REASON via the RME UFX into the desk. The RME has 8 line outs and two ADAT outs. The ADAT outs are assigned to two BEHRINGER ADA8200, with the RME acting as master clock for the system. The BEHRINGER 8200 each convert 8 analogue INS and OUTS to ADAT IN & OUT (vice versa), thereby giving me another 16 analogue ins and outs to the computer. This means I have 24 tracks of analogue outs going into the M3500 console.....nice.

So here are two mixes. They're effectively the same mix, only one was mastered to two tracks on the MSR24 via GROUPS 1&2 and then recorded into the computer in REASON, for uploading. The other mix was recorded straight to the computer from the same GROUPS 1&2.

Do you hear a difference? (You may have to adjust your listening between tracks to get the same volume).

Either one will do for my as it's only a rough test of what this new setup will give me, but I'm pleased so far.

https://altruistica.bandcamp.com/track/so-fine-aw4416-demo-full-mix-a

https://altruistica.bandcamp.com/track/so-fine-aw4416-demo-full-mix-b

Al

Yeah, I dont hear b mix either. But I do like the tune and the first mix. :D
Edit: btw, you're moving fast! Seems like yesterday you got the mixer.

Edit: btw, you're moving fast! Seems like yesterday you got the mixer.

Maybe you could have a word with my wife?..........'are you not finished with the studio yet?' she said.

I think it's taken me about two years to get to this place, but at least now I'm beginning to hear something I like and I think that some of that is down to each part in the puzzle, the mixer, the tape and the convertor.

Al

Mix A is a touch more crisper and open compared to Mix B which feels just a pinch darker, and has a slight compressed vibe to it...a little rounder/punchier.

Neither sound better/worse than the other...just the slight differences.

Back