Belt replacement question

famous beagle

I've got an ultra-clean 246 on the way (finally! :) ), and I know that the belts can deteriorate even with little use just due to the age. So I want to go ahead and get some new belts so I have them.

I saw this belt kit on ebay, which says it's for all the belts in the unit.

Tascam Belt Kit Porta One Two 234 244 246 225 10 Year Warranty | eBay

It shows 4 belts. I know about the capstan belt and the control belt, but does anyone know what the other two are for?

Thanks!

Hmmmm....looks like just their stock photo, so maybe they're showing all the belts they have available? I'm pretty sure these are the same people I bought a 244 belt set off of ebay a few years ago, and they only charged 10.00 and shipped the two belts.

OK this is strange: I bought a belt set from these guys a while back, and I was delayed in getting it due to Hurricane Katrina. Oddly enough, they say they're now shipping from Lake George, CO which is about 20mins away from me. I remember their website from a few years ago looking for someone to tune up my Teac, when I think they were based in Florissant, and in the process of moving to Kentucky. So now they're back? Must find out...

Hmmmm....looks like just their stock photo, so maybe they're showing all the belts they have available? I'm pretty sure these are the same people I bought a 244 belt set off of ebay a few years ago, and they only charged 10.00 and shipped the two belts.

OK this is strange: I bought a belt set from these guys a while back, and I was delayed in getting it due to Hurricane Katrina. Oddly enough, they say they're now shipping from Lake George, CO which is about 20mins away from me. I remember their website from a few years ago looking for someone to tune up my Teac, when I think they were based in Florissant, and in the process of moving to Kentucky. So now they're back? Must find out...

Oh ok ... interesting. Maybe that's it.

Thanks!

There are only two belts in the 246... capstan and control. I've only had to change the ones in mine twice since 1986. I recommend getting the belts and other parts from Tascam when you can. Often the measurements on after-market belts are a compromise to fit more machines. I bought my last set from Tascam Parts Dept.

Back