Analog musings from Sound on Sound Mag

I recall reading this many moons ago. The article is from '97 and it's a bit surprising that even back then, when folks were dumping their analog gear for cheap, people started regretting "going digital".

Really good read (again). Thanks Tim! ;) :)

~Daniel

PS: In fact, I like the article so much I used a piece of it for my signature. :D

Pardon me if I am Hijacking this thread, but after I read that artical, I went upstairs, dusted off my old Sony 2 track 1/4 inch reel to reel and played some of my dad's old recordings, that he made at around my age (16). I loved the way everything sounded much "warmer" as described in the artical, even though the actual techniques used for miking and the like wernt the best.

My question if I can find some tape to use with it would it be worth the trouble to output from Pro TOols and then into the reel to reel to "warm" up the sound? Of course I would probably then re-import the "warm" sound back into Pro Tools and export the tracks to CD. Is all this worth it?

-Thanks (sorry if Hijacking)

Sure, you'll get some benefit from the tape with that method. There's a lot to experiment with here. I would complete the work on the pro tools side and then master it to the reel-to-reel. From the reel-to-reel you could go directly to CD master. Once you have what you want on tape you should leave it alone as much as possible, so it's best to have the tape be at the end of the project as a "pre-master." :)

Look for BASF LP35 and Quantegy 407 tapes for that machine.

Last edited:
Back