1960s Juliette mini reel-to-reel recorder

This Juliette model was sold under a couple of other names (Lloyd's TP-566W, Star-lite ST-666 Statesman) with slight cosmetic variations. This LT-44 was imported by Topp Import & Export of Miami. The owner's manual confirms DC bias and permanent magnet.

The Juliette had 4 transistors but used one as a diode. Within the next couple of years, electronics manufacturers would be touting transistor counts on the front panel, and even adding gratuitous transistors to up the count for promotional purposes.

This one is a 6-transistor recorder... In the early days of transistorized consumer electronics, manufacturers would boast about the number of transistors a device contained. In many cases, the transistor count was featured prominently on a chrome (or plastic faux chrome) badge on the product.

I remember those days! I had a "transistor radio" that boasted a whopping SEVEN transistors! This was during the days of the "Space Race," and transistors were cool back then.

...the fidelity is about the same as the cheap cassette recorders we played with in the late 70s and early 80s.

The last time I used one of those, it was as the data storage device for my Commodore Vic-20!:D

I see I contradicted my earlier post from months ago. It was 4 transistors, not 6.

I remember those days! I had a "transistor radio" that boasted a whopping SEVEN transistors!

My favorite toy when I was 5 years old was a transistor radio. I don't remember the transistor count.

The last time I used one of those, it was as the data storage device for my Commodore Vic-20!:D

Do you still have the data cable? I've been looking high and low for a cable to connect my RZ-1 drum machine and some other old Casios to a cassette data recorder. The cable I need has a round 9-pin DIN connector, not the D-shaped serial port connector.

Nah, that cable is long gone. You should be able to find one, though- there are people who still use and love those old Commodore computers. Google it...

I don't know that a Commodore cable would work, just speculating. Most of the cables I've seen for old home computers have the D-shaped plug.

Anyway, I just got a SoundBrush that records an incoming MIDI stream to a Type 0 file on floppy disk. That should suit my purposes just as well.

Back