Starter VSTS for Reaper

mcmac74

Hi...just dipping my toe in DAWS with reaper and looking for some free effects and simulators to have a go with as it doesn't come preloaded with that many. For starter recommendations I'd like some:

-A good set of various amp simulators. I've only ever used those that came loaded on my old Korg D1200 but I thought they were pretty useful

- A nice variety of reverbs to use on vocals and acoustic guitar.

- The usual set of guitar effects such as chorus, flange, reverb, distortion etc

I think that'll do for now. I'll be on the look out for some good bass and drum VSTs when I've got my head around how a midi controller works but that's for another post!

Thanks
Mark

For reverbs, Look for some Convolution Impulse files. There are a number of them available free. You load the Reaper RS:Reverb VST, and then load the impulse file. You should be able to find various plate, room, hall and spring reverb impulse files. Then just adjust to taste. I think Waves audio has a library that is available free. Sound on Sound also has free impulse files here.

I like the Samplicity M7 reverbs. There are some really nice ones. The Samplicity site is down, but its still available in the Wayback archive.

Have a good explore in the JS folder for some interesting effects - there's flanging, chorus and phasing in there as well as a whole host of others.

In addition to TalismanRich's suggestions for reverb impulses I would also take a look at Voxengo's collection of free impulses. It is also worth playing around with the reverb generator in Reaverb which can generate some very realistic rooms.

Have a good explore in the JS folder for some interesting effects - there's flanging, chorus and phasing in there as well as a whole host of others.

In addition to TalismanRich's suggestions for reverb impulses I would also take a look at Voxengo's collection of free impulses. It is also worth playing around with the reverb generator in Reaverb which can generate some very realistic rooms.

Thanks all...you mention a js folder. I was under the impression that those in the cockos file were the only accessible ones?

There are many free VSTs that you can download.

Here is a site where you can find just about anything.

VST4Free: VST 4 FREE -
Free Audio Plug-ins Archives

Wow...a lot of choice! ...any favourites? I've downloaded a couple and stuck them in a folder...I've tried to add them to a track but the folder doesn't appear as an option...any ideas? Oh...I've also assumed that downloading on 64 bit is preferable to 32bit?

Regards
Mark

Wow...a lot of choice! ...any favourites? I've downloaded a couple and stuck them in a folder...I've tried to add them to a track but the folder doesn't appear as an option...any ideas? Oh...I've also assumed that downloading on 64 bit is preferable to 32bit?

Regards
Mark

1 I don't know which are my favourites because I can't remember which come from there or elsewhere. What happens is that I usually have a need for a particular sound, so I go looking for a VST that gives that sound, and grab it wherever I can find it.

2 I download 32bit because my main music system is still XP. However, they work fine in W7 or W10.

3 There are a few steps to getting a VST going in Reaper.

* download the VST (which is often in a Zip file of some sort).
* extract the VST's .DLL file to a folder that you will use for them, e.g. 'vst plugins'.
* tell Reaper where to find this folder by going 'Options'/'Preferences'/'Plugins'/'VST'. Where it says 'Plugin path', click on 'Edit', then 'Add', then navigate to the folder in which you put the DLL. You can then click on 're-scan', but Reaper will do this next time you open it.
* you can then create a track, click on FX, and load up the plugin.

Thanks all...you mention a js folder. I was under the impression that those in the cockos file were the only accessible ones?

When you click on the FX button you are presented with a dialog box containing a list of categories on the left and a list of all the plug-ins in the category that you've chosen on the right. One of the categories on the left is called JS. Just click on that and you'll find loads of stuff in there.

1 I don't know which are my favourites because I can't remember which come from there or elsewhere. What happens is that I usually have a need for a particular sound, so I go looking for a VST that gives that sound, and grab it wherever I can find it.

2 I download 32bit because my main music system is still XP. However, they work fine in W7 or W10.

3 There are a few steps to getting a VST going in Reaper.

* download the VST (which is often in a Zip file of some sort).
* extract the VST's .DLL file to a folder that you will use for them, e.g. 'vst plugins'.
* tell Reaper where to find this folder by going 'Options'/'Preferences'/'Plugins'/'VST'. Where it says 'Plugin path', click on 'Edit', then 'Add', then navigate to the folder in which you put the DLL. You can then click on 're-scan', but Reaper will do this next time you open it.
* you can then create a track, click on FX, and load up the plugin.

Thanks for that guidance Geko...I assume it's just trial and error with the downloads as I've found no way to hear how they sound before I download?

When you click on the FX button you are presented with a dialog box containing a list of categories on the left and a list of all the plug-ins in the category that you've chosen on the right. One of the categories on the left is called JS. Just click on that and you'll find loads of stuff in

Thanks James...do all the folders that show have vst suitable for reaper? I'm sure I read somewhere that only those in the cocko folder work in reaper but clearly not.

Unless there is a audio preview on the site, it is trial and error. But if you don't like one after you've downloaded it, you can just delete it.

When in Reaper you click on FX to load a VST, you are presented with a box that shows a number of folders that just categorise the VSTs in various ways. Just choose any VST to use in Reaper.

Thanks James...do all the folders that show have vst suitable for reaper? I'm sure I read somewhere that only those in the cocko folder work in reaper but clearly not.

Yes, all the folders can be used - if it was only the Cockos folder then you wouldn't be able to use any third party VST's.

Hi...just dipping my toe in DAWS with reaper and looking for some free effects and simulators to have a go with as it doesn't come preloaded with that many. For starter recommendations I'd like some:

-A good set of various amp simulators. I've only ever used those that came loaded on my old Korg D1200 but I thought they were pretty useful

- A nice variety of reverbs to use on vocals and acoustic guitar.

- The usual set of guitar effects such as chorus, flange, reverb, distortion etc

I think that'll do for now. I'll be on the look out for some good bass and drum VSTs when I've got my head around how a midi controller works but that's for another post!

Thanks
Mark
I've found these to be very useful and easy to work with.

GVST - Packages
KVR: epicVerb by Variety Of Sound - Reverb VST Plugin

7zip will handle RAR files. Its free. You could also use WInZIP or WinRAR if you are on PC.

RAR is just another form of file compression, akin to ZIP.

For reverbs, Look for some Convolution Impulse files. There are a number of them available free. You load the Reaper RS:Reverb VST, and then load the impulse file. You should be able to find various plate, room, hall and spring reverb impulse files. Then just adjust to taste. I think Waves audio has a library that is available free. Sound on Sound also has free impulse files here.

I like the Samplicity M7 reverbs. There are some really nice ones. The Samplicity site is down, but its still available in the Wayback archive.

Just wondering how to use these impulse files...they're wav rather than dll files...is there software I need to use in conjunction and do I add them into reaper in the same way as I would a dll plug in?

Dune by Synapse Audio

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll have a look.

Mark

Using the convolution reverb files is simple in ReaVerb. I like to use about -30 to -40 on the Wet slider to get a natural reverb level. You've got everything from a small chamber to a huge hall at your fingertips.

Attachments

• Convolution Reverb.jpg
    Convolution Reverb.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 14
Back