La2a

noisewreck

When "mastering" my latest tune, I put on the UAD-1 LA2A and noticed that it sucked out the low end quite audibly with even 2-3dB attenuation. Now I (and many others) have always thought of this thing to be quite transparent, but in this case it was quite audible how it was affecting the tonal balance of the mix in a negative way. I tried several other things, but in the end I just settled on "New York" type compression thing where I duplicated the track, heavily compressed the duplicate and layered it below the original. I'm pleased with the overall results... anyways... sorry I got side-tracked there.

My question here is for those that have experience with the actual hardware unit. How does it work? Does it affect the tonal balance in this way? Just curious.

Every compressor I have ever heard effects the tonal balance of the audio going through it.

Be glad that it tames the lows and didn't suck the highs out of it!

I see. I've experienced it too, I just wasn't expecting it to be that extensive with the LA2A, I guess it just threw me off. I've almost always had the need to EQ after compression, but in this case it wasn't quite working either.

The LA2A is the last compressor I would consider for compression in mastering. The character of it is too strange for a whole mix to go through in my opinion. I would grab for the 1176 before the LA2A.

In mastering, the attack and release is ALL important! You HAVE to have those controls.

Good points... although I did try others, and in the end settled with what I described, using LA2A to compress the second copy. Everything else somehow tended to make things claustrophobic.

Well I can't tell you anything you already haven't been told, I just don't see the luxury in passing a stereo mix through an LA-2A.

It reminds me of a bad experience I had being forced to pass some great mixes through a Vintech Custom Shop 609CA, all because the producer "demanded that I do it cause he read it in a magazine".

The end result felt like when you slap standing water with your hand REALLY hard...you know what Im talking about? Of course he lost about 12 grand in the process. So I don't get paid to engineer...

I get paid to engineer, to then have people fuck up my work and then watch them get all pissed about the fact that I told them so.

Which is honestly alot more satisfying than making money in this stage of my life.

But back on subject, I suppose just try and compare. I don't know, maybe the LA-2A does something for your mixes that it can't do for others. That's the beauty of experimenting. Aside from losing rediculous money.

Ford Van said:
Trust me, it won't be for long!

I know! Bills are stacking up! So I've kind of been a little more of an asshole about the paycheck, lately! ahaha oh god (just too much stress sometimes).

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Weird, I don't find the LA2A plug to be "transparent".

Yeah, I don't think it was ever billed as transparent. However I use it on mixes fairly frequently. Depends on the style of music. If it needs some vintageing, the LA2A is often the ticket. Of course I am not averse to EQ on either side.

Funny, I am much less likely to use the 1176 on a mix. That seems like pretty strong medicine to me :confused:

Back