DBX or RNC

genesisariana

Which should I invest in? I like the fact that the 266xl has two independant channels, but most say the rnc is better. I have about 300 to spend and need some help.

What are you planning to use this on? Some compressors work better on some things than others. IMHO, for, vocals, the RNC is the better choice. For instruments, the DBX 160 (x, xt, a) is very good (although the RNC also works well on instruments, but not bass). I definitely prefer the 160 to the RNC on drums. I also like the old Symetrix 501 on bass.

I have a DBX 266 and I can't recommend it for recording anything. Mine lives in my guitar rack which is the only application for which it is at all useful.

Thanks for the information, I plan on using it all around on vocals, guitar, and on drums. So the 160 is much better than the 266?

160x/xt/a is much better than the 266xl (current model), but it's a single channel unit vs. the dual mono 266. to add to the confusion there's also an older unit called the 160 (often referred to as the 160vu) which is considerably more expensive and coveted, but that's well out of your stated price range.
i had a couple of 160x's for a while and found them to be useful units. i never really into the rnc that i had, but ymmv. i've read where some people dig the older version of the 166-- (just called the 166-- not "166xl"), but from what i've seen the 160x/xt/a's are still seen to be better. a lot of commercial studios will have a couple of 160x/xt/a's in their racks.
other units you could consider might include the art pro vla and the fmr rnla.

I have to concur with everyones findings. I have had and used the RNs and the DBX266s
That particular model of DBX sucks worse than any thing I have ever used.
The rncs are good for single instrument / voice, whether mono or stereo.
The DBX 160 series are good as well for a single voice source, but you only get mono for the same price. The Art Pro VLAs are good for percussive instruments Like drums and Bass, maybe miced guitar cabs, I don't think I have ever tried them on voice.
I currently only have 2 RNCs and 3 VLAs, but am keeping my own eyes open for a good deal on the DBX 160 series or a Symmetrix 501.

Thanks for the information, I plan on using it all around on vocals, guitar, and on drums. So the 160 is much better than the 266?
Also, perhaps depending on what you're looking to get out of it and where you'll use them; The 160 is a very effective and simple set up 'does what it does' comp -fairly fast auto comp.
The RNC is the clean and versatile one. Clean enough for anything, including stereo mix, drum kit/mix, goes fast (remove snare from an o/h mix) or slow, where the 160 won't go. BTW, it will do bass', just that it's fast enough to allow you to get in trouble. :)
Don't know you're skill level here too but -the RNC is also a wide open palette, so for learning, tracking or mix..

The vla looks pretty cool I didnt think of that one. Thanks for making my decision even harder, LOL. Anyone else want to weigh in.

BTW, remember that the RNC is a stereo unit -- not a dual mono unit. It may make a difference for you depending on how you want to use it. I have a couple RNCs, a DBX 160xt, a DBX 266 and a Symetrix 501. All of them, except for the 266 are useful for recording. Another inexpensive compressor is the Aphex Compellor. It is a very transparent unit that sort of works to "glue" things together. Not good if you want real smashing, but nice in a polishing sort of way. I also have other more expensive units, but the ones being discussed here continue to be useful on a regular basis.

Back