Blue Kiwi - Need a preamp

mickmadness

Hi,

I just got my Blue Kiwi mic and I love it. I'm currently running it through a RME Fireface 800 and it sounds amazing, but I was wondering what preamps others might pair it up with for an awesome sound.

I'd like to get something of top-quality (far better than my RME's preamps). I'm willing to spend between 1500 - 2000 on a pre for it.

Should I get an Avalon pre? Those are clean/transparent sounding, yes?

What would you do?

Thanks!

I personally would recommend something like a Great River ME-1NV or a Brent Averill BAE 312a (you can get two channels version with the power supply for $1800), but those are two units that i've used and enjoyed.

Everyone on the board will have their own opinions of what sounds best or what is the best option for you but none of our opinions will really tell you what YOU like.

I'm a big fan of purchasing gear that i know that i can return for no or a small restocking fee or that i can re-sell and loose little or no money. In the world of recording, yes checking with the opinions of others can help (and in some cases keep you from doing something you'll regret later) but it's hard to find a good substitute for personal experience.

The Kiwi is my main vocal mic. I use it with an Avalon AD2022, the 2 channel version of an M5. You could do a lot worse. Avalon service and support is impeccable. The only thing I don't like about the Avalon is it has no inserts. I've learned to work around that. If you want a load of gain with no noise, and a serious transformer, the Avalon is hard to beat.-Richie

I use a Jensen Twin Servo 990 by John Hardy and put it through a Summit TLA-100A compressor. They're both super clean and the Summit adds flavor but not really a lot, it just sounds super smooth. It sounds expensive.

The Summit stuff is really good. I've used their big 2-ch mic pre and it's real nice. One of the 1/2 rack Summit mic pre's with one of their 1/2 rack tube compressors would probably be a nice input stage, although I haven't tried their 1/2 rack stuff... but I trust the company. I like the mic pre/tube compressor combo.

Back