ART Pro VLA II & M-Audio Octane

audiogeography

Hello. I've been doing some expanding on my current set-up and was hoping for some advice before I dropped some serious cash on an improbable idea.

I'm currently running all of my mic's into the pre's on my MOTU 8 Pre and it's been amazing so far. I just picked up an ART Pro VLA, but I've been unable to use it since the 8 Pre doesn't have any line-in's (I knew this beforehand haha).

My original plan was to pick up a nice dual channel pre-amp such as the ART MPA Gold or an M-Audio DMP-3 but am really impressed by what I've read on the Octane so far.

So with this, I'd like to ideally run my kick and snare through the Octane which will be connected via ADAT to the 8 Pre and use the pre-amp outs to the Pro VLA Compressor and then back into the Octane through the line-in's.

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say on this (i.e. that's a terrible idea, that will work, etc.) and any suggestions to other possibilities. Thanks!

Like WS just said, it'll work just fine. I'm a big fan of the VLA Pro, too...that is a fantastic sounding compressor for the money.

Frank

Where have I been... I had no idea there was a VLA II. That looks great! I too have the Pro VLA and a Octane... I like both pieces of gear very much... although I run the VLA through some Sytek Pres. Your plan should be fine and I'm sure w/ Good results.

So how long ago did the VLA II come out? It looks like there's more control of attack and release, more lights!, and the link function... does anyone know if there's much sonic difference between II and the original? I tried to do some searching but it must not be working at the moment because even "Pro VLA" brought up 0 results.
(This should be another post but I'll wait for the search to work incase this has been already answered)

B.

So how long ago did the VLA II come out? It looks like there's more control of attack and release, more lights!, and the link function... does anyone know if there's much sonic difference between II and the original? I tried to do some searching but it must not be working at the moment because even "Pro VLA" brought up 0 results.
(This should be another post but I'll wait for the search to work incase this has been already answered)

ART added the features you mentioned...as to sound difference, that's the million dollar question. You'll find a wide variety of opinions there. I have one of the older VLA's and I personally didn't hear much of a difference.

Frank

Back