SMPTE from Tape MIDI Sync

tascam baby

Hi. I have been recording for several years now onto tape (Tascam 38, Tascam MSR-16). I mix down into Cubase. A Tascam US-122 is the interface from the desk. I have REASON 3 (which I have yet to fully get to grips with), and FRUITY LOOPS STUDIO which I mainly use as a drum machine. I write the drum track then record it onto a couple of tape tracks. I also access sounds in FL using the MIDI out from a Korg MS2000.
I want the tape recorder to control these sequencers. I got an old JL Cooper PPS-1. This will record (stripe) a SMPTE signal onto a tape track, then convert it to MTC. I had no problem striping the SMPTE code to tape, but couldn't get the US-122 to "see" its MIDI output. In fairness, the unit could well have been faulty.
I have just aquired a FRIEND CHIP SRC/AT PLUS. Again, no problem striping the SMPTE, but again, could could not get the US-122 to see the MIDI output. I can make my old ROLAND TR505 trigger them no problem.
So, what am I doing wrong? Can't find a manual for the Friend Chip. The guy I got it off didn't have it, but says he used it to do exactly what I want. Could any one help - either with the manual, or with some hook up advice. There is a confusing amount of MIDI connections and menus on the unit.
Any help would be gratefully received!
Dave.

Not sure how your rig shoudl be configured...but I lock my deck with SMPTE to my DAW...and it isn't in the hardware that you set that, but in the software (at least for me).

I would look for the Sync options in Reason...then find the In/Out and there you should be able to tell it to Input MTC from device TASCAM 122, the MIDI I/O
Same way you set your audio tracks in reason...the MTC should be in Reason's sync section.

That's how my rig works...anyway.

Back