Your favorite microphone for Live male vocals

Strave

Let me know if asking about live stuff here is inappropriate. Anyways.. what's your favorite mic for live male vocals (within a price range of $50-150)?

Last edited:
It's not inappropriate....it's just kind of pointless.

There is no *best* microphone for live male vocals in a $50-150 price range. There are *different* microphones in that category. Some of them will be best for your voice, some will be best for my voice, and some will be best for that guy standing down on the streetcorner waiting for the bus. Voices vary so much that there is no mic that will be best for all male vocals. The only thing to do is to try lots of different ones and see which sounds best to you.

Strave said:
Let me know if asking about live stuff here is inappropriate. Anyways.. what's your favorite mic for live male vocals (within a price range of $50-150)?

This is the right forum. However, the answer depends alot on your voice and vocal style. I personally use the Shure SM57 with a foam windscreen (I actually like the $1.99 Radio Shack windscreen better than the $10 Shure screw-on windscreen). It seems to do just fine on my voice. I also have a Sennheiser e835, which has a more detailed high-end response, but tends to be more sibilant and harsh with my voice. I prefer the 57.

Cool... guess the title was a bit misleading... more of a what's your favorite live male vocal mic and why.

You did not say best, you said favorite. I have three: Acoustic trio = senn 845, 5 piece cover band = beta 58, single acoustic = beta 57 with windscreen

Big Kenny said:
You did not say best, you said favorite. I have three: Acoustic trio = senn 845, 5 piece cover band = beta 58, single acoustic = beta 57 with windscreen

I edited it... anyways looks like the shure betas are liked.

Well definitly you are looking for a dynamic for live. In that price range the already mentioned Sennheiser 845 and Shure SM57 or 58 betas are both popular and commonplace. If you could get to the next price tier or look for used bargains I would try to steer you toward either the Sennheiser MD421 or the Shure SM7.

I'm with Innovations. For cheap, I like Sennheiser e835 and AKG D320B, an oldie but goodie. But- SM7B blows them away. I bought it for a recording dynamic, but I put it into the PA and never looked back. Very little feedback, good usable proximity, excellent detail. What's not to like? For small, intimate settings, I like AKG C535, a really nice handheld condenser.-Richie

I'm using a pair of E/V RE27 for live vocals, no proximity effect or other woofiness from lips-touching-mic technique.

I use an Audix OM5 and really love it. I've seen a lot of rock bands using these live also. The Beta 58's are also good.

good luck..

bford

Strave said:

Is that price new or used? I recently got a beyer M88 (the old one, not the newer TG version) for ~€90, so that will fit right in your price range. Most people claim that it's better than the new version.

I like it for myself for the very good presentation of the low end (great for death metal). I also like it on a vocalist I'm working with, because of the low end and less emphasis on the "nasal" range compared to i.e. SM58 and similair. And Phil Collins likes it, too ;)

Rainer

I've also got OM5's, sm58's, and 845's (2 of each of those) and I prefer the OM5 for my own voice. But I like the Sennheiser alot, too.

H2H

Back