Thoughts on CAD e70 and trion 8000

wallystripes

I'm thinking in getting one of these mics (or maybe both if i save), so I wondered if anyone could tell me about their experience with these.

I own an akg c4000 and sm57. I want to be able to get different sounds and have option when a mic is not giving me the sound I'm looking for. I mainly record electric guitars and some drums and vocals.

Any help will be really apreciated

I'm thinking in getting one of these mics (or maybe both if i save), so I wondered if anyone could tell me about their experience with these.

I own an akg c4000 and sm57. I want to be able to get different sounds and have option when a mic is not giving me the sound I'm looking for. I mainly record electric guitars and some drums and vocals.

Any help will be really apreciated

I thought long and hard about the Trion 8000 but passed on it because of it's reputed fragility... which of course has nothing to do with it's sonic characteristics and everything to do with my 'demanding' environment.

I havent heard of it being too fragile. But thats no surprise if you consider its a tube condenser mic.

Anyone has had experience with any of these two?

This is like asking somebody to compare a Porsche and a Motorhome.... They're very, very different mics with very, very different behavior and uses. What are you hoping to use this mic for?

For vocals, I suspect you'd prefer a CAD M9 over the Trion 8000.

For overheads, there are any number of better choices than the CAD SDCs, IMO, for not a lot more money. Oktava MK-012s, for example.

If you want a really different sound on guitar at that price point, as far as CAD gear goes, my suggestion would probably be an M9. Alternatively, you might consider a (non-phantom-powered) ribbon mic with a clean preamp. :) Just my $0.02.

Note, however, that I have not used either of those two specific mics. This is based largely on experience with some of CAD's other SDCs, the M9, and various reviews of the Trion, coupled with a lot of gut feelings. :D

yea, they havne't done as well as the M9 for a vocal recording mic ever since. the trion 8000 isn't a cad original... it's a rebranded mic from china (sadly), but it's only availble easily around the world as the cad trion 8000. it's a nice mic. great on some things. but very few things.... great for a project mic though. PPL raved about it when it came out. but oddly it's sound has become unpopular rather quickly ever since... it just has a little too much air and a little too wide of a cardoid polar patter or some combination like that. This is my feeling at least, although I used to like it better. I'm being picky though, it's a very good mic no matter what I just said.

the M9 is a really good vocal recording mic though. in the league of cad's best mics from yesteryear when they were truly an american company. ugliest mike they make imho, but possibly the most interesting sounding for vocals.

Hey thanks a lot for those comments. from what Ive seen it seems like trion is a good mic for the price, very clean. But I see you guys have different opinions, so that makes me think about it. I hadnt considered the m9 and I deffinitely will.

Back