Studio Projects T3 versus Rode Classic II - any comparisons?

pundit

Has anyone done an A-B comparison between a T3 and a Classic II?

A discounted Classic II is not much more expensive than a T3 in Australia and I'm wondering just how they compare.

Cheers

For the last few years, we've had them all, from Germany till Austria, and now we've just discovered the C1 from Studio Projects.
We did an A-B test, and i was not happy at all. The C1 sounds better than our $2300.- Rode Classic, and that hurts, because it cost's something like 15 % of the Classic II.
So if you're looking for a $2500.- microphonesound, stop searching !"

Peter Jansen, Music Bizz Audio Design, The Netherlands

Maybe that helps................:)

:cool:

i think a more direct comparison would be between a T3 and an NTK.

i haven't really heard anything about the T3, though i'm interested in it. the sound samples i've heard of it made it sound WORSE on vocals than the C1 as far as i'm concerned... just basically a little better than a B1 with the same overall sound. i didn't hear much 'tube warmth' at all in the T3.

still, i'm really interested in any first-hand observations.

i understand that, but at least in North America, they are in completely different leagues.
the Classic II is way more expensive here. to me, it's like you're comparing an SM57 to a U87.
the T3 is in almost precisely the same range as the NTK, and I would guess is probably meant to compete directly with it.

ausrock said:
"The C1 sounds better than our $2300.- Rode Classic, and that hurts, because it cost's something like 15 % of the Classic II..."

That was part of a testimonial of the Studio Projects website.
I know the sound of the C1 and it's not what I'm interested in as such. If anyone has any direct personal experience between the T3 and the Classic II I would be interested in hearing their opinion.

The C1 is quite a hyped sounding mic so it will invariably sound more impressive on certain kinds of material. Of course that can also be it's downfall... there are many instances where it will sound worse than something not as hyped. I have two multi-pattern C3's which I prefer the sound of over the C1.

Cheers

bleyrad said:
i understand that, but at least in North America, they are in completely different leagues.
the Classic II is way more expensive here. to me, it's like you're comparing an SM57 to a U87.
the T3 is in almost precisely the same range as the NTK, and I would guess is probably meant to compete directly with it.

Point taken.

As an example a T3 here retails at $1599 AUS which equates to about $750 USD. I saw a Classic II advertised about two weeks back for $1799 AUS which is around $830 USD. So a difference of only $80 USD is not much.

After seeing the price on the Classic II I began to think that the Rodes were priced fairly resonably over here in their country of manufacture, but it seems like this price was a bit of an one off situation.

Cheers

pundit said:
Point taken.

As an example a T3 here retails at $1599 AUS which equates to about $750 USD. I saw a Classic II advertised about two weeks back for $1799 AUS which is around $830 USD. So a difference of only $80 USD is not much. Cheers

The T3 sells for $599.00...

Alan,

Quoting street or buying price can be misleading in this situation.

Pundit was quoting the RRP (recommended retail price) which is the price the manufacturer or distributor sets which I think is equivelant to your "List Price" of $799 US for the T3.

It is this price and this price only which should be used for evaluating the price variations between countries. This is why I have asked in the UK related thread whether the UK prices are list (rrp) or street.

Example using $Aust and their equivelant based on the current $exchange rate...........

B3; Aust, RRP $469. US List $362. UK As per prices in other thread $281

T3; Aust, RRP $1599 US List $1454 UK $789

I REPEAT..........All prices have been converted to $ AUST. and the UK prices may or may not be street prices.

:cool:

This thread kind've got lost discussing relative pricing. I have no direct experience with Rode Classic, for the same reason relatively few U.S. recording people do. It's simply $1500-1600 U.S. street price. For that, you really have to prove that the mic is damn good. I think that makes it a little like Solidtube, which was initially hyped and overpriced, but now is a quite attractive mic at its price point.
For what you Aussie's pay for a Rode Classic, I'd consider it as a vocal option. For muchos dinero, I think my mic budget can be better spent. For the price of that Classic II, I could own a B.L.U.E. Dragonfly, *and* a Neumann TLM103! Supply and demand strikes again.
At our price point, it's correct that NTK and T-3 go head to head, with the underated Solidtube lurking in the shadows. T-3 is versatile, with pads and bass cut, multipolar. NTK is a cardioid mic with no doodads that sounds very good on a lot of people. Rode Classic II is a mic that either has to do a lot of convincing, or some price adjustment. I'll take the German capsule, thank you.-Richie

Back