Recording Vocals Tips

dotlw

I Have a SM75 and a cheapish Condenser mic and am having problems getting a decent noise out of them for recording vocals.

we haven't found miltitracking to work too well so we want to use single takes using both mics.

any good tips?

we also seem to get a load of hum. How do we kill it!

DotLW

You're going to have to describe you setup better than that. What are you plugging the mics into? What are you multitracking (or not) with? Software? Tape? Describe your signal chain and we can help you.

bedroom setup going into FLStudio7. i use ART tube pre amps into an M-Audio Audiophile external soundcard. I'm recording male and female vocals over distorted guitar, bass and heavy beats

Is it an ART Tube MP? I used to have one and it was EXTREMELY noisy. You might try unplugging the mic cable from the ART and see if the hum is still there. Turn the ART output all the way down and if the hum goes away, it's almost certainly the culprit.

Define "cheapish condenser mic". And do you mean SM57? The only SM75s I could find were a speaker and a snow machine....

getting rid of hum

All components should share the same ground, try plugging( with multiple power strips if you need to), EVERYTHING; computer, effects, amps, mixers etc... into the same electrical outlet.
My computer caused a terrible hum on my PA, with an extension cord and a power strip it was so quiet I didn't think the spkrs. were on !!!

All components should share the same ground, try plugging( with multiple power strips if you need to), EVERYTHING; computer, effects, amps, mixers etc... into the same electrical outlet.
My computer caused a terrible hum on my PA, with an extension cord and a power strip it was so quiet I didn't think the spkrs. were on !!!

^ A great tip. Also, if you have any lights with dimmer switches on them in the room, turn them off. Dimmers are regular hum-culprits.

Back