Recording Vocals : RODE NTK or Shure KSM44

mistahx505

I have a AKG 3000B mic now and for vocals its putting out horriable quality im just not happy with it.. I have been looking into the SHURE KSM44 .. But others recommend the RODE NTK what do you guys recommend out of them 2 for recording vocals.

Or recommend a mic under 500$ strictly for vocals cuz thats all the recordings i do. thanks.

Two sides of the coin. The KSM44 is brutally detailed, and the NTK airbrushes vox in an often flattering way. Do you want to sound the way you really sound, or better than you really sound? The KSM44 will cut through a mix better, and the NTK will generally just sound good. The better the singer, and the denser the mix, the more I like the Shure.-Richie

mistahx505 said:
I have a AKG 3000B mic now and for vocals its putting out horriable quality im just not happy with it.. I have been looking into the SHURE KSM44 .. But others recommend the RODE NTK what do you guys recommend out of them 2 for recording vocals.

Or recommend a mic under 500$ strictly for vocals cuz thats all the recordings i do. thanks.
Difference strokes for different folks... I recommend you audition both mic's and get the one YOU like best.

Richard Monroe said:
Two sides of the coin. The KSM44 is brutally detailed, and the NTK airbrushes vox in an often flattering way. Do you want to sound the way you really sound, or better than you really sound? The KSM44 will cut through a mix better, and the NTK will generally just sound good. The better the singer, and the denser the mix, the more I like the Shure.-Richie

That's a really good comparison/contrast of the two mics. The airbrush comment was spot-on.

the ksm44 is more neutral/natural sounding IMO..
the ntk is a great mic for vox though..
the ksm44 is a all around studio mic.. it sounds great on just about anything.. and if you look on ebay you can get them new for $510 vs $699...

Thanks Everyone for the Help , Really Appreciate It. Im Prob going to look into the NTK cuz all i mainly record is vocals anyways. Cheaper to.

Back