Recording Playback Problems

AZDSF

i posted this under microphones, i didnt know where else to post.

here is my problem. i recently bought a computer mic, its a MARK mxl home studio recording microphone. i used this mic 1 day ago. and it recorded fine, nice and clean. then yesterday my computer suffered a issue and it had to be completely rebooted back to when it was purchased. so install my recording program which is Magix Audio Studio Deluxe 2005. and i plug in the mic, get the pop filter ready, and now when i record and play the vocals back, all i can hear is a loud Buzzing sound and its kind of distorted.

can someone please please help me? i was thinking maybe the sound settings are messed up from the reboot. any tips, advice at all would help so much. ive been at this all day.

aquarizmusic@gmail.com to contact or ill come back to this thread often. thank you!!

i did a search on the computer itself, and the option came up for re-installing the sound card, i did it. but it didnt fix the problem.

find the soundcard manufacturer and go to their website

i think it should be in controlpanel/performancemaintenence/system/device manager if you don`t know

nord

That is a usb mic Right? Wouldn't the mic be the sound device then? The sound card is built into the mic so you would have to use that to record I think. Try to find out what the name for the mic/sound device, then make sure your recording program is using it as the recording/input device, or set it as your default recording device in your sounds options in windows.
I think thats how it works with usb mic's.(never used one myself)

its not a usb mic it is a 1/8 connector that plugs directly into the back of the tower (brain) of my computer. the microphone is a mxl m.a.r.k. mobile audrio recording kit.

Sorry bout that ,I looked it up and got some usb hits. Anyhow If you are getting a buzzing sound it sounds like you do have it plugged it to the mic input and you are recording from the right input. So I would recheck the connections between the mic and mic input, and then make sure that the battery is hooked up and fresh. That buzzing is a reasonable indicator that the sound card is fine but the cable is picking up noise due to either a loose connection or short, of that there might be a problem with the mic. It has a built in pre amp that is powered by a 9volt so it could be that.

everythings connected. fresh battery.
i tried the mic out, same recording program, on a different computer, it worked fine.
so its something with my computer.

Have you checked out the settings and property's for ac97?(You right click the speaker icon usually to access it) What are the settings for the recording device?
Also might try uninstalling/reinstalling the card.(devices/ac97/drivers/uninstall) Although you should be covered from the driver upgrade sometimes strange strategies like that work for stupid computers.(I had one card that I would have to physicly remove and put in a different slot sometimes)
Check the properties first though, is there more than one input?(my laptop has a built in mic and a mic input)
are your bit and sample rates compatible with your recording program?(16 bit, 44.1khz should always work)

im pretty sure there is only one input, when it shows the drop down menu for the realtek ac97 that is the only option to click.

By morning there should be more activty on the board and someone will probably have a better idea. If it were me the next step would be to unistall the driver, reboot and let windows reinstall the sound card. You might also try updating chipset drivers, that's ironed out a few queer problems like this for me in the past.
also click the advanced tab on microphone and see what the bit and sample rates are at. you should be able to test the mic from here to and adjust the level just for kicks. If it is doing that buzzing thing that meter should show some activity. There should also be a set up wizard there that might help.
If after I tried those things and I still had issues I would be lookin for a new sound card. This is really a lousy option in your case since you got this type of mic to simplify and economize your recording endeavors. So if it came to this you might want to consider returning that mic and getting a card that can accommodate a traditional mic, ie one with a built in mic pre, and a mic to go with it. (this would sound worlds better by the way)
You've been at this all day, I don't envy you man, I would be ready to throw some hardware out the window, but eventually most things can be worked through.:o

It could be several things. Check the hardware first, make sure it has a fresh battery (which you did). You verified that the mic works in another machine, so you you've pretty much taken care of that. You might have jarred the input port and loosened it up enough the cause crackling. Although if it's a consistent sort of noise, then it's probably not that. Check the driver, which it sounds like you did, but ac97 is more of a sound codec / protocol than an actual card. There are several cards, probably a hundred or more that use the ac97 stuff. Not that there's normally much difference between them to make a difference.

Beyond that, you're either mixing your sampling rates in you recording software. Or there's some priority issues, or confusion in the recording application as to which mic it's using. One other thing to check is that if you have a setting to playback while recording, you might get that noise on a card that is NOT full duplex and you're trying to play and record at the same time.

You might try booting a linux liveCD to record with. Not that it fixes your other OS issues. But it might be a suitable workaround in the meantime. Or at least one more way to rule out hardware issues. I like recording in linux because there's less "other" stuff to cause you issues. Not that I know of any liveCDs that come with Ardour or Audacity, but you've always got arecord/aplay (not very user friendly but pretty much works out of the box in most cases). Just some thoughts.

try finding the microphone input level?
At:
sounds and audio devices/microphone volume

windows sets a very low level usually

nord

Back