Recommend some microphones for tenor vocals?

EvanOz85

So I'm looking to expand my microphone collection. Right now I have two AKG 414 ULS microphones, but I mainly use them for live taping. I would love some recommendations on good studio microphones for a young sounding, high tenor, male voice.

Price is NOT an issue...so whatever any of you think would work well with my voice type...post it!

Thanks!

So I'm looking to expand my microphone collection. Right now I have two AKG 414 ULS microphones, but I mainly use them for live taping. I would love some recommendations on good studio microphones for a young sounding, high tenor, male voice.

I'm partial to the Nady RSM-2 modded with a Lundahl transformer. Failing that, any other long ribbon design with a Lundahl transformer, e.g. the Shinybox 46MXL.

On the cheap side, ive used an Audio Technica 4040 with great results, on the expensive side the Neumann M149 but not very close to the vocalist.

Have you heard about the Dave Thomas (Advanced Audio) mod of the Apex 460? I have a pair, and although the dealing with DT/AA was a pain in the ass, now that it's all said and done, these mics are the best vocal mics in my collection. They easily win out over my Neumann U-87 and Røde NTK at about $550 including the mod. (It did take four months to get my mics back from Dave though. ugh.)
Let me know if you want more info.

cheers

barry
http://www.soundclick.com/studiobjazzproject

Have you heard about the Dave Thomas (Advanced Audio) mod of the Apex 460? I have a pair, and although the dealing with DT/AA was a pain in the ass, now that it's all said and done, these mics are the best vocal mics in my collection. They easily win out over my Neumann U-87 and Røde NTK at about $550 including the mod. (It did take four months to get my mics back from Dave though. ugh.)
Let me know if you want more info.

cheers

barry
http://www.soundclick.com/studiobjazzproject

Your U87 must be broken.........

I've gotten great results using an AT4050. Of course, my results vary depending upon the preamp that I'm using. Probably the best results with tenor vocals and my AT4050 came with a Joemeek VC3Q digital preamp.

There's my 2 cents.

Price is NOT an issue...so whatever any of you think would work well with my voice type...post it!

Okay, Neumann u47, m49, m250, m249. Anyone of those should do your voice justice...in fact, if you can't get a good sound with your voice and those mics...problem's probably more in your voice than anything else...

Now in all seriousness, MA-200 is a good choice.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm gonna be looking into some of the Neumann's for sure.

in fact, if you can't get a good sound with your voice and those mics...problem's probably more in your voice than anything else...

Har har!! No actually I think my voice sounds very good with the AKG, however I just want to try other things as well.

Back