Problem mounting Audio Technica AT2020USB to Samson SP01 Shock Mount

_scruffy90

Hello all,

A friend of mine gave me his AT2020USB to use for podcasting and other tidbits. I bought the Samson SP01 shock mount since it was a highly recommended shock mount for use with the AT2020. I've also seen a lot of videos where people are very easily screwing their AT2020's to the SP01.

Unfortunately, I have been able to do so. When I flip the mic and the mount upside down, I notice that the hole on the SP01 is too large for the mounting portion of the AT2020. The screw threads simply don't match up and in turn this causes the mic to wiggle around while on the mount.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is it an issue with my SP01?

Thanks!

Could it be that you're missing the thread adapter? Something like this:

On-Stage Stands MA200 5/8"M to 3/8"F Mic Adapter | Sweetwater.com

[EDIT] actually, it looks like the threads simply don't match up very well...the Sampson isn't a 3/8" thread size, it's just also not a standard 5/8" either...resulting in a loose fit. Arcaxis is right, looks like adding some material will be the best way to secure it once it's screwed on loosely.

Pretty Shure he's talking about the threads on the mic not the to the stand.
I couldn't see any info given for the threads on either item, so other than hearing from someone who has both maybe the best way to sus this out- Look at both threads carefully to see they look healthy ie not buggered', and two if they are (were) a decent match the shouldn't be wobbly even before they go far enough to lock done like arcaxis was talking about.
It's real easy to cross thread soft stuff like this (that's the kinds of damage you can see one the threads though.

I ended up having to put a piece of cotton over the thread and it secured rather tightly. I don't know if I'd want to leave it like that though. It is possible that over the years the design of one of the two products may have changed slightly because there are some people with the USB version of the mic and they're able to secure it into the shock mount without having to "thicken" the thread.

Thanks to all!

Would anyone be able to recommended a decent 3rd party shock mount that isn't the Samson SP01?

Unless someone can verify these threads are even 'standard between the two I'd think contacting AT would be the place to start.
Might try CAD, the 179 for example do and Cascade (the Vinjet) both do a screw on like that, but again, are they the same..
Actually, I can compare those two and get back to ya..

It's odd that Samson would change the threads on the mount. I wonder what the reasoning is behind it. I decided that the cotton solution wasn't viable, as the thread started to loosen up and the mic was no longer secured on the mount. I think I may either have to decide on getting the official mount or DIYing my own.

Thanks everyone!

I had a similar problem fitting a 1943 vintage Shure 55 to a modern mic stand thread. The solution was "plumber's tape", which you can get at any hardware store. It's a plastic tape with no glue. You just wrap it around the threads that are too small, and the mating part will cut new threads into the tape. If you don't like it, it's easy to remove. It also protects the threads of both parts that don't quite match from each other. Better yet, it's dirt cheap, like 2 bucks.

Back