Neumann U 87 Ai

Sexy Heather

TG Girl
U87_P.jpg

I've wanted one of these for years (as have many, of course), the Neumann U 87, ever since getting ahold of Mark Lewisohn's awesome book, "The Beatles Recording Sessions". At around $3,000.00, I seriously doubt I'll ever get one, so I'm making do with my Shures. It would be interesting to plug one of these into my Tascam 688, and see what happens! ;) Anybody here have a U 87?

Don't own one but use them at uni a fair bit. Lovely mics :)

If only I could afford one for myself...and then the £200 for the shockmount!

the singer in my band has two-- one stock u87 and one u87 with the inner tube modification. they sound awesome.
the u87 uses a different capsule than the u87ai incidentally and reportedly sound quite different. the ai revision uses the u67 capsule i believe.

No doubt, but as I've never recorded in a studio here (I spent my money on my guitars, amps and recording gear, instead), I've not met anyone who owned one.

Seriously, 20 years ago, I made the decision to put together my own recording studio using Tascam gear, rather than spending money in a professional studio. I began with a Tascam PortaOne in 1988. Now, I have a Tascam 688, a Tascam 564, a Tascam DP-01FX/CD and a Tascam 424, half a dozen Shure mics, a lot of outboard gear, 25 guitars and five guitar amps, etc., as well as a dedicated rehearsal room and studio for my band and myself. My point is, while I'd love a U 87, I have learned to use the gear I have to the fullest.

Sexy Heather said:
Seriously, 20 years ago, I made the decision to put together my own recording studio using Tascam gear, rather than spending money in a professional studio. I began with a Tascam PortaOne in 1988. Now, I have a Tascam 688, a Tascam 564, a Tascam DP-01FX/CD and a Tascam 424, half a dozen Shure mics, a lot of outboard gear, 25 guitars and five guitar amps, etc., as well as a dedicated rehearsal room and studio for my band and myself. My point is, while I'd love a U 87, I have learned to use the gear I have to the fullest.
Then why didn't you just say that?

I have 1 1969 U87 I bought fr0om the Hit Factory in NYC when they closed. I like it, but its not the mic to end all mic's. No mic is. They all have a place

Jim

Sexy Heather said:
U87_P.jpg

I've wanted one of these for years (as have many, of course), the Neumann U 87, ever since getting ahold of Mark Lewisohn's awesome book, "The Beatles Recording Sessions". At around $3,000.00, I seriously doubt I'll ever get one, so I'm making do with my Shures. It would be interesting to plug one of these into my Tascam 688, and see what happens! ;) Anybody here have a U 87?

I have 2 and they won't make a very big difference paired with a TASCAM 688.

Big Kenny said:
how much ya want for 'em....

I am not selling them as they are great sounding mics paired up with my good console and 2" 24 track MCI tape machine.

I am referring to spending so much $$$ on a mic going to a porta-studio thing. I would use about 1000 other way less expensive mics with a decent console/tape machine pair.

Back