Mixer or Preamp? Which is more essential?

dont neccesarily NEED pro tools but im already familiar with it, i've never used any other program to record with. what are some other alternatives? i've heard of ambleton, cubase, garageband. if those are cheaper then i guess i should go that route although im not particularly fond of learning an entirely new program

I can appreciate that, it's never nice, but on a budget I'd seriously recommend downloading reaper.

It's free to download and try, and if you like it you pay a small fee. It's like $60.

That frees up a hell of a lot of more money for decent monitors. :) Spend it where it counts.

Yea, you're talking about getting some *really* nice gear for a home studio here - Assuming that mic plays nicely with your voice and whatever else you want to record with it, there's not really an equipment-related weakpoint that would hold you back. Except of course... the monitors (I slipped that post in while you were righting this one, I think).

ahhh those damn monitors. im totally dreading this cuz man they can get super expensive... i dont even know where to start looking

...what are some other alternatives? i've heard of ambleton, cubase, garageband.

I usually suggest Reaper, because I think it's awesome and the developer's a freakin' prodigy of a sound programmer. I wish I had the time to try switching over to it (it's also very inexpensive without technically sacrificing anything that I''m aware of). There's also Sonar, Logic, and Audition (I think a few of these mentioned so far are Mac only, but I'm not sure...garageband for sure, maybe Logic is too).

I can appreciate that, it's never nice, but on a budget I'd seriously recommend downloading reaper.

It's free to download and try, and if you like it you pay a small fee. It's like $60.

That frees up a hell of a lot of more money for decent monitors. :) Spend it where it counts.

exactly what i needed to hear!! now as far as eq's and compressors within that program will i still be able to mix down my record and get good quality? or is there any room to add plugins if im not satisfied with the stock ones?

I usually suggest Reaper, because I think it's awesome and the developer's a freakin' prodigy of a sound programmer. I wish I had the time to try switching over to it (it's also very inexpensive without technically sacrificing anything that I''m aware of). There's also Sonar, Logic, and Audition (I think a few of these mentioned so far are Mac only, but I'm not sure...garageband for sure, maybe Logic is too).

never heard of reaper but if u guys say its worth the money then im def in!! sometimes i tend to look at prices and assume the higher end stuff is always best. pretty much my reason for making an account here, to get some opinions before i go out and waste $$$$$

REAPER | Download

I understand about pricing and getting what you pay for in general - but Reaper's a little different. The developer is the guy who made winamp and sold it to AOL for like 500 million dollars or something insane like that, so he's not having to answer to a board or anything... pretty unique situation he's in.

Pres and mics go hand-in-hand...imo. If one sucks then it will inevitably bring down the quality of the other.

Back