Microphones

dainbramage

I'm considering getting a couple of microphones as a headphone-deal went to the outskirts of bananaland. Yes that is a local expression :P

Having read different threads here my choice is between a Neumann TLM103 or two Sennheiser MD421 mics. The Neumann would be more expensive than two (even three) MD421s. I already have a condenser (and se2200a) but it's relatively cheap. A Shure SM57 is on its way in the mail. I also heard good things about the Shure SM7B, which is about half the price of a TLM103.

So in summary that's three MD421s for the price of two SM7Bs for the price of one TML103 and it is my maximum budget so far.

As my interface has been confirmed to arrive tomorrow (omg omg omg) I figured I needed more mics. Initially I will record acoustic guitars (up to three at a time), djembe, damboka and vocals, ideally everything at once when I have enough jammates with me. Playing jazz, reggae, world, fingerpicking-country, anything really. I've got 4 preamps on the interface. For rock which is my main genre I'll go DI.

I imagine I should mic acoustic guitars with a dynamic each and having a condenser overhead? Also I have a feeling several condensers would be a bad thing as they would pick up too much ambience?

Would appreciate help here! What would you (yes that's you) recommend? :drunk:

Last edited:
Hmmm...so I'm guessing you've got $1,100ish dollars as a budget since you're looking at the tlm 103? :D

Personally, I'd skip the Neumann for now since you are just building your mic locker (right?)! I'd grab an M-Audio Sputnik off of Amazon for $550ish, and then get a MD 421 and a SM7b on top of that! You might have to stretch another $50 or so, but that'd be a great, SOLID base for your collection! :)

The Sputnik is in that "higher range" of LDCs (from a home-recording viewpoint anyways :p), since from what I see around they normally go for $750-$800, but for some reason there's a company selling em for that $550 right now on Amazon. Good deal!

Please don't get the TLM 103. It's not a bad microphone, but really overpriced for what you get. You're mostly paying for the name in this case.

If you're set on a Neumann, I undertstand the TLM 102 is a better option (though I don't speak from experience on that mic.).

A pair of MD421's and a SM7 you'd be using for the rest of your life without a whisper of regret. But, for what you're intending to record right now, I'm thinking SDC's more than anything else.

Whatever you do, skip the TLM 103 idea.

You know, I'd fully agree with chris.

I used the TLM103 and sure, it was nice, but not that nice.
I picked up a tlm193 for very little and like it a lot better.

For acoustic guitars I'd recommend oktava mk012s or shure sm81s.
MD421s and sm7bs will last you for life and always find uses. Great on percussion, vocals, horns etc.

Me Too!!!

I would go with the recommendations of both Chris and Paul.

Just not sure of what the price differences are between the US and Bananaland. :D You should be able to get a few cheap MXL LDC's in there as well say the V67g or the 2003a

I'm considering getting a couple of microphones as a headphone-deal went to the outskirts of bananaland. Yes that is a local expression :P

Having read different threads here my choice is between a Neumann TLM103 or two Sennheiser MD421 mics. The Neumann would be more expensive than two (even three) MD421s. I already have a condenser (and se2200a) but it's relatively cheap. A Shure SM57 is on its way in the mail. I also heard good things about the Shure SM7B, which is about half the price of a TLM103.

So in summary that's three MD421s for the price of two SM7Bs for the price of one TML103 and it is my maximum budget so far.

As my interface has been confirmed to arrive tomorrow (omg omg omg) I figured I needed more mics. Initially I will record acoustic guitars (up to three at a time), djembe, damboka and vocals, ideally everything at once when I have enough jammates with me. Playing jazz, reggae, world, fingerpicking-country, anything really. I've got 4 preamps on the interface. For rock which is my main genre I'll go DI.

I imagine I should mic acoustic guitars with a dynamic each and having a condenser overhead? Also I have a feeling several condensers would be a bad thing as they would pick up too much ambience?

Would appreciate help here! What would you (yes that's you) recommend? :drunk:

A TLM 102 and an MD 421

or, if that's pushing it

A Sennheiser MK 4 and an MD 421

Thanks a lot guys!

God I've been having so much fun with the newly arrived interface today: Finally I'm able to try out all the new stuff I've learnt so far on this forum! And what an upgrade from that portable recorder :D

Ok so I definately will not get the TLM103. You all seem to like the MD421 and since they're half the price over here these days I think I'll go for two of them and a SM7B in addition to the M57.

For my next micshopspree I'll definately look back to this thread, and probably go for one of those Sputniks even though the name gives me really really bad memories from the horrors of norwegian popular music:

WRAAARHRHRHERHREAR KILL ME PLEASE GET IT OVERWITH

Err anyway thanks again guys!

The 421 has been a very well regarded mic for years, but the clip system for that one has a legacy of its own. I've heard comments from one or two engineers on teh internets that have said the off axis response of the 421 is kind of phasey. That one was on my wish list for a few years until I ended up with enough other good dynamics that I think it wouldn't see much use.

I scored a couple of good deals on a 441 U3 (black mic, no 5 way roll off switch) and a Blackfire 541 (essentially a 441 U3) used, each for less money than what a new 421 costs.

If you're thinking of using a dynamic for recording acoustic guitar you might want to read up on some others like the Beyerdynamic M201 and M88, or the Electrovoice RE 20. They're all priced similarly to the 421 and pretty cool mics with a lot of versatility.

Thanks a lot guys!

God I've been having so much fun with the newly arrived interface today: Finally I'm able to try out all the new stuff I've learnt so far on this forum! And what an upgrade from that portable recorder :D

Ok so I definately will not get the TLM103. You all seem to like the MD421 and since they're half the price over here these days I think I'll go for two of them and a SM7B in addition to the SM57.

Do keep in mind what we said about the SDC's!

The mics you want to buy now are (as said) great mics, but are not the ussual go-to mics for your current set up. Acoustic guitars are generally recorded with SDC's. The mics you're buying are High End Dynamic mics, the TLM's are LDC's.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I do want to pick up (pun intended) something available from a certain store that owes me money in order to get them as quickly as possible. So in terms of SDC's a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 is also on the list. Any experiences with those?

Ah yes, I do want to pick up (pun intended) something available from a certain store that owes me money in order to get them as quickly as possible. So in terms of SDC's a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 is also on the list. Any experiences with those?

I have no experience with them.

If they carry Neumann maybe you could look into those KM84's of 184's, which are apparently very good.

If he can get Shure maybe he can get SM81's, maybe there are some more tips from other users.

Maybe they can get Octava MK/MC 012's.

If they carry Neumann maybe you could look into those KM84's of 184's, which are apparently very good.

They do have 184 stereo pairs. They are over my budget but I guess I could stretch it a bit if they are really really good. I don't mind being broke. Some people in other forums think they are too bright. One guy over at gearslutz even said they sounded like nails on a blackboard, but listening to samples on YouTube-videos (which are of course very horribly compressed), I don't really hear this overly brightness some complain about.

I have a feeling alot of those gearslutzpeople are snobs though :D

For the price & performance of KM 184's I don't think you could really go too far wrong with the MC930's. The Oktavas are also very well respected if you're on more of a budget.

The KM 84 is in its own league. Too bad Sennheiser isn't making these.

God, this is such a hard choice. It's a jungle out there!

Even if I could not go too far wrong with the MC930s, I suppose the KM184 have more details (not proportionally to price but still) ?

I really want some really good sounding ones and don't mind paying a bit for it but the KM184 are at the top of my budget. Can I go wrong with these? I'm tempted to because they have them in storage and everything :D (patience, i know, but well.. you know)

Last edited:
Back