Microphone Suggestions

blackriverside

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to recording also. Over the past year I began recording songs on my computer using Sound Forge and editing with ACID Pro. All I've used up to this point is a $6 dictation microphone and I'm definitely ready to upgrade.

I've been reading up on some mics (mostly condenser) like the Shure SM81, Studio Projects B3, and AKG C1000S. That's about my price range. I'm looking for a clear, clean sound for solo acoustic guitar and vocals (with the occational harmonica, acoustic slide, mando, and violin). Most of it will be quieter fingerstyle stuff though. I know the SM81 would be great for the instruments, but would it be good for the vocals at the same time?

I also know nothing of preamps and all that stuff. Would I HAVE to use a preamp to record to my computer, or could I just plug the new mic into the input like the old mic?

Thanks Much,

Mike

blackriverside said:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to recording also. Over the past year I began recording songs on my computer using Sound Forge and editing with ACID Pro. All I've used up to this point is a $6 dictation microphone and I'm definitely ready to upgrade.

I've been reading up on some mics (mostly condenser) like the Shure SM81, Studio Projects B3, and AKG C1000S. That's about my price range. I'm looking for a clear, clean sound for solo acoustic guitar and vocals (with the occational harmonica, acoustic slide, mando, and violin). Most of it will be quieter fingerstyle stuff though. I know the SM81 would be great for the instruments, but would it be good for the vocals at the same time?

I also know nothing of preamps and all that stuff. Would I HAVE to use a preamp to record to my computer, or could I just plug the new mic into the input like the old mic?

Thanks Much,

Mike
For what you’re wanting to record and seeing how you’re just starting out learning the art of recording IMO you should begin with a small locker of good budget mics. I recommend starting with two SDC mics and recommend the Marshall MXL603SPR matched stereo pair package, or one MXL603S and one Oktava MC-012 for your acoustic instruments and a LDC and or dynamic mic for your vocal mic. As for which LDC or dynamic vocal mic... it really depends on which one sounds best with your voice, (what works best on my voice may suck on yours)... you need to audition some mics to find the one YOU like the best. Also read some of the vocal mic recommendation’s in some of the other threads. Plan on sending at least around $200 for your first good budget vocal mic. I also recommend the M-Audio DMP3 preamp as your first entry level preamp. PS... you're going to want a good soundcard too.

Last edited:
If you still were at a budget point of only being able to afford one mic then the B1 is a good choice. Not perfect for all those things, but servicable and never useless.

Yes, either get a preamp or stick with the dictation mic until you can. The dmp3 is an excellent hobbyist preamp, but if it is out of your price league you can get an audiobuddy. But that will be something you will be selling on ebay someday to trade up to something like a dmp3

If I was just starting out I'd go with the DMP3 for a pre, soundcard would be M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and for the instruments you're recording I'd stick with the SP B1, not the B3 and save yourself some cash.

That's the bare minimum I'd start with

I agree with the above... if you're on a really tight budget, an audiobuddy and B1 will get you started and it will sound much better than what you've been using.

Thanks for the info. I have a laptop and I saw some Audiophile USB soundcards on ebay. Would that be good? Anyway, with the dmp3 preamp and the soundcard, my budget gets much tighter. So, would a B1 (or similar) mic be sufficiant for vocals and guitar recorded at the same time, or would I be itching for a vocal mic right away?

Mike

Last edited:
Your welcome... and yeah, the B1 is a good entry level mic and will work... it wouldn't be my first choice (separate vocal/instrument mics would be better)... but plenty of people here seem to like the B1 more than I do and the B1 would be much better (like night & day) than what you've been using.

I think the B1 and DMP3 would be an excellent starting place. Later, you can pick up an MXL603s and record the guitar in stereo.

Wow, this is almost a first on this forum. On your budget, for acoustic guitar and vox, Audiobuddy and B-1 are a perfectly good choice. They are among the best units of their type in the sub- $100 price range. We all also agree that more money would be nice, and as soon as we get there, we begin to diverge a little bit on how that more money should be spent. It isn't often you'll see near universal agreement here. Like it.-Richie

Wow, this is almost a first on this forum. On your budget, for acoustic guitar and vox, DMP-3 and B-1 are a perfectly good choice. They are among the best units of their type at the bottom of the price range. We all also agree that more money would be nice, and as soon as we get there, we begin to diverge a little bit on how that more money should be spent. It isn't often you'll see near universal agreement here. Like it.-Richie

blackriverside said:
Thanks for the info. I have a laptop and I saw some Audiophile USB soundcards on ebay. Would that be good? Anyway, with the dmp3 preamp and the soundcard, my budget gets much tighter. So, would a B1 (or similar) mic be sufficiant for vocals and guitar recorded at the same time, or would I be itching for a vocal mic right away?

Mike
Ok, you are on a laptop so that changes a number of things. What I would suggest for a beginner would be the USB MobilePre since that gets you the USB soundcard and a beginner preamp with phantom power. That should still leave you budget for one or two B1s. That will be an OK beginner laptop solution.

tdukex said:
I think the B1 and DMP3 would be an excellent starting place. Later, you can pick up an MXL603s and record the guitar in stereo.
It takes a matched pair of mics for true/critical stereo recording.

adk?

Have you guys used an ADK A-51 Type V?

If so, what is your opinion on it as a first "budget" condenser? (keep in mind its not the High SPL "S" version).

I just purchased the Model A Twin series for $149 on ebay, includes A-51 and SC-1 (plus shockmount, 2 9meter xlr cables, clip & pouch).

just curious, .

Back