Microphone cables

Razzgospel

I suspect that there may already be a thread on this topic, but I can't find one, and I'm a newbie (as they so kindly identify me..)
I am going to buy an Audio Technica AT4040, thanks to all the good advice in here. Now, I want to know what people recommend for a microphone cable that will bring out the best in this microphone.

Any recommendations? I'm just buying one cable, so price doesn't scare me, as long as I'm getting a top quality cable.

I've gotten a couple of suggestions in the other thread I started, but because this is a question specific to microphone cables, I thought I'd start a separate thread...

Thanks to all who have responded to the other thread... You've been a great help..

This has been asked many times...but here it is anyways...if you want a premade cable at GC or something - I would say Monster or Blue Kiwi (the latter prolly being the favourite around here between those two)...Mogami, Belden, Canare are all very good choices if you are getting it custom made [or making it yourself which is highly recommended in these woods]...look for Switchcraft or Neutrik XLR connectors...

I wouldn’t recommend the B.L.U.E. unless you’re handy with a soldering iron. I got a “Cranberry” a few months ago and always used as my first-choice cable. A few weeks ago I modified a Cascade M20 mic, basically rebuilding the entire circuit via the “Scott Dorsey mod”. Upon testing the mic, I was cranking the gain while listening with headphones and noticed a buzz at high gain settings. I took the mic apart several times over a period of several days, re-soldering the ground connections and such, trying to kill the buzz. Finally, I accidentally plugged it into a cheap $7 mic cable and it sounded fine with no buzz.

Something wrong with my B.L.U.E. Cranberry? No way! (I thought) I took the male end off and guess what? The shield wire WASN’T EVEN CONNECTED!:mad: I called B.L.U.E. just to be sure this wasn’t intentional and sure enough, it wasn’t. The customer service guy was nice, but sounded like Dan Aykroyd on speed and talked so much, so fast, that I couldn’t get a word in edgewise (it was really funny:p ). He assured me that it was supposed to be grounded and then said that B.L.U.E. didn’t make those anyway, but that they were imported from China or somewhere. He offered to let me send it back, but I just fixed it myself. Works fine now. :cool:

Any product can be defective. If I have any problem with a Kiwi quad cable (and I did once), I just take it to my dealer who replaces it on the spot- guaranteed for life.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Any product can be defective. If I have any problem with a Kiwi quad cable (and I did once), I just take it to my dealer who replaces it on the spot- guaranteed for life.-Richie
The B.L.U.E customer service guy told me the Cranberry cable was only garanteed for 1 year from date of purchase and did not give me the option to take it back to the place of purchase. In this case that was Guitar Center and they won't touch it after 30 days, no matter what.

Richard Monroe said:
Check the warranty on Kiwi. GC replaced mine 5 months after purchase, no questions asked.-Richie
Cool. The GC down here is under new management and they don’t deal like they used to. They’d better watch out though. The local competition is still pretty strong!

It wasn't a biggie in my case, though. Once I realized it was defective, I had it fixed in about 5 minutes.

Back