MIC pickin up too much SNOW...

hottsauce_21

My mic seems to pick up alot of snow, NOt really alot to where Its annoying, ITs just im in a quiet room with paddling all around and it still seems to pick it up, IS it the equipment i use OR what?????? i have a EMU 1212m, Rode NT1a mic and a Focusrite VMP. can someone tell me if its suppose to be like that or can i buy a piece of hardware to edit it out and have a KYSTAL CLEAN sound..

Snow in arizona at this time of year!

How does it sound before it goes into the 1212? and with each individual section of the VMP switched in and out?

All setups have a certain amount of noise, but there is probably a mechanical reason for having too much (poorly routed cables, etc). The NT1A has one of the lowest self-noise ratings of LDCs...I'd look elsewhere for the source, unless you've got a faulty mic.

be sure you that your power cables and power supplies are'nt running alongside your audio connections, because this will cause a humming sound. Also a cabling upgrade may do you good. ;)

You've got pretty good equipment. I'd check my gain structure...make sure the pre-amp isn't turned up to much, or the gain on the board. Make sure that the gain levels are about equal....having the ouput of the focusrite turned all the way up and your e-mu inputs turned way down isn't good gain structure.

You may have already checked this....I used to have problems like this before I learned....

All of the above... starting with checking your cables and then your gain structure. Plus, make sure there is no noise making type device (like florescent lights, etc) in the room or using the same AC breaker as your studio. It also could be moisture on the mic diaphragm... if so, you can slowly dry it with a low power light bulb (20 to 40-watter)... or put the mic in a plastic zip lock bag with some silica gel parks to dry it out.

Last edited:
Back