Which Mic for my voice? (MP3)

Rufio90210

Helloooo,

Newbie here, I have a macbook pro, 2.4ghz, 4gb ram &250gb hard drive... using logic pro 9.

So I've saved up and currently putting together the bits and pieces for me to have a go at recording myself after getting fed up with the short time frames you have to CREATE & EXPERIMENT when paying for a studio.

I have finally decided after much head scratching to get the Apogee Duet interface as it seems to have the best preamps. Although hooking things up to it like a compressor / gate and multi effects looks unlikely? But I think I should master the simple things before worrying about all that and from what I hear Logic does a decent job as compresser / expander. right?

Now I have turnt to what I think I need next which is mics. My budget for a good mic is £200, I've been looking at the Audio Technica At4040 as it seems to do a good job on guitar cabs aswell as vocals.... however I am still willing to spend an extra £80 or whatever and get an SM57 too. But if I could get a condenser that does vocals and cab recordings to a very professional level in my budget that would be better.

I've read that some mics aren't suited to male vocals and ive just read that about the AT4040 and its thrown a spanner in my works.... so here is a song of mine with me singing please listen and let me know if you can think of a mic that may suit my slightly eccentric voice.

youtube/watch?v=W20mx74VBMU&feature=related

So please do recommend me some and still do recommend me in the £500 price range as well because I may be able to find a used one on EBAY or something.

Thanks

Luke

I kinda like what's going on with your vocals, considering the material.
I guess if I were to add anything maybe a darker sounding microphone ..... but that's hard to tell for I would need to know with what and how those vocals where recorded.

Back