Looking for the alternative to the 57

Stinky

Okay, we all know the 57 is solid on lots of applications. But is there another good, budget, all-around mic that can fill the same rolls for about the same price? Am I crazy to ask this?

I guess everyone's looking for that mic that can go from vocals to toms to snare to kick to overheads to acoustic to guitar and bass cabs to piano. I'm no exception.

I've got 57s. They're fine. Not great, but, yes, it's $100. Am I missing something else that's out there?

Thanks and rock on.--Stinky

Yeah, I'm very curious about that mic. A lot of people like it. But I haven't found much feedback about it being used for acoustic guitar. It seems I've heard about it being mostly for cabs and drums.

My main desire is to find something (cheaply) which works on acoustic and guitar/bass cabs. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for checking in.

with that budget I would just pick up a pair of those little MSH-1A's or whatever they are called and record the bass direct :eek:

Well, howzabout that? I've been away for a while and someone's come up with a new mic! But they're out of stock. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks for the tip.

With acoustic, I wouldn't recommend a dynamic as your go-to mic. I sometimes use dynamics on cheaper acoustics, which tend to be naturally trebly, but otherwise no.

What dalley. Or one of the other mics hand made by the purveryors of sonic excellence at that place. (see MSHILARIOUS's link)
I have a 1A & am looking into buying the version he has for micing cabs &&&& the microtube one too.

Thanks for the input, folks. Looks like ALL models of the MSHs are out of stock. Is this something which happens frequently? Has is been a while since someone has been able to buy one of these?

I think they're new, and demand was way higher than they expected. They seem to be getting poular! I should try some of those. It couldn't hurt to just try it once, could it? I think these were the ones that were introduced at 99 cents for the first thousand.

Stinky said:
Yeah, I'm very curious about that mic. A lot of people like it. But I haven't found much feedback about it being used for acoustic guitar. It seems I've heard about it being mostly for cabs and drums....

That's because most people don't use such a mic for acoustic guitar. ;)

MessianicDreams said:
maybe a second hand MD421? those mics are fucking brilliant!!

Yeah! Great for guitar, drums, sax, bass cabinet, Rhodes, etc...

If I had to pick one dynamic to have, it would be a 421!

I RECORDED SOME TRACKS ON A FRIEND'S CELLPHONE(AN EXPENSIVE ONE!), AND GOT SOME GENERALLY USEABLE RESULTS AT LEAST ON GUITAR. YMMV, BUT IF YOU CAN FIND THE MODEL IT'S PRETTY GOOD AS YOU'RE SAVING MONEY BY IT'S DUAL USAGE. GETTING THE TRACKS BACK INTO YOUR DAW IS A PAIN THOUGH, WITH THE VIDEO FILE ALONG WITH THE AUDIO, BUT WORTH IT IF YOU CAN SWING IT.

That sounds great! A phone?!?! I'm always on the lookout for genuine utility and a good bargain. For instance, I was born with feet. They're great for walking around and also for putting in some sarcastic ****'s ass. And, get this, I got them for free! That's right! Free!

I would attach an emoticon to the end of my entry, but I can't find a little cartoon face which appropriately tells you how to go fuck yourself.

Thanks for your help. Try the veal.

Back