ksm44 or akg414

im in the market for a new mic and i am wondering what mic would be a better choice. my budget is in the $500-600 range. the ksm44 or the akg 414. i have heard a lot of great things about the ksm 44.

i would be doing a lot of different things with it. from djembes,congas and assorted hand precussion to drumkits to vox and guitars.
my signal chain now is at4033->great river mp2nv->digi002.

thanks!
-jay

Either one should do nicely, and should make for a solid mic given your intended uses. This is one of those times when you should really just audition the two and see which one is more to your liking. Personally, I'd go with the Shure, but that's due a lot more to my personal liking of their products and reputation of their company in general.

thanks chess, do you think either of the above mics would do better than the 4033? what im asking is if i were to get a ksm44 or a 414 would i be taking a step forward or just a step sideways? to me a step sideways is always a waste of $$$.

I think in some applications, either one will be a step up (from a 4033), particularly as an overhead drum mic. In other apps, it will likely be sideways, and in some, they may even be a step down.

For the most part, the major differences you'd hear with the 44 or the 414 is that they'll be a bit more on the natural, less-hyped side of things, and a little more low-key. The 4033 has a somewhat aggressive midrange and some high-end sweetening going on. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on how it's being used.

My impression of the 2, and I've used them both extensively, is that they are both very good versatile studio workhorses. I think the KSM44 is more often the better vocal mic, and the C414 is a better mic for guitar and percussion. For your uses, I'd buy the 414 and never look back.-Richie

I'm probably out of my element, but if a 44 is anything like a 32, I'd take the 44.

I've heard the 414 on a couple home recorded tracks and I can't stand the sound compared to my 32. I'd think the 44 sounds similiar to the 32 but I have no experience, so take me with a bricko'lick and a Sauza shooter.

the 414 is more versatile than the 44 with it's nice padding options and smaller profile.

the 4033 is cardioid only, so i can't see how it can be compared.

Back