I finally got one of the infamous GLS ES-57 mics (SM57 clones)...

markitzero

Suprisingly good sounding mic. As reported before, it has a higher output than an SM57 (significantly hotter), but doesn't really sound anything like a SM57. I did a side-by-side comparison, and believe it or not, the ES-57 sounds way more like an MD421 than an SM57. Think a MD421 with a hotter output, more presence in the 800-1K range, and a tiny bit less 6-10K and there you go. I always hated the SM57... it sounds hollow and tinny on everything. I'm figuing the ES-57 will sound great on toms, snare, guitar cabs, even bass cabs and some string instruments (viola, cello) depending on the situation. I can even see flute, sax, trombones, and other non ear-piercing horns working well with this mic.

Eventually I'll get some samples posted up here, but for now this description will have to do. This mic sounds full, powerfull, and way more expensive than it actually is. The build quality is good, and it looks a lot less dumpy in person than it does in the pictures on the web. If you unscrew the windscreen part of the mic, the foam and paper around the diaphragm look kinda cheap, but who gives a shit... this mic sounds good, period.

Best bang for the buck microphone out there. Without a doubt. I'll be picking up a few more.

While I don't have a 421 to compare with I have been very pleased with the results I get with these, especially on drums. Maybe that's why my toms sound so good. I've heard the 421 is a better mic on toms that the SM57. Of course that's all perspective.

I've compared it with a Nady RSM-1 ribbon mic on guitar cabs and found I liked the GLS better.

Back