I can't find this type of mic cable ANYWHERE!>>

wjgypsy

I need 8, 50' XLR - Hi-z (1/4") mic cables that have a good gauge (22 or below) or a 50' 8ch XLR - Hi-z snake. I looked at

musiciansfriend.com, 8thstreetmusic.com, interstatemusic.com and i even tryed looking at Radioshack, but i can't find them. I'm only a tight budget to so they need to be a good price ( :rolleyes: DUH! :D)

thanks guys

Zeke

these people come highly recommended

http://www.redco.com/

give them a call. they give you quote. million times better snake than anything you will get from the sites above.

ok maybe not a million... maybe 2x

ZEKE SAYER said:
I need 8, 50' XLR - Hi-z (1/4") mic cables that have a good gauge (22 or below) or a 50' 8ch XLR - Hi-z snake. I looked at

musiciansfriend.com, 8thstreetmusic.com, interstatemusic.com and i even tryed looking at Radioshack, but i can't find them.

Are you trying to go XLR to unbalanced 1/4"? If so that is the problem. You usually would go XLR to balanced and those are easy to find.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Well, my recorder (Fostex vf-16) only has 8 inputs. (2 are the only XLR's) The rest are 1/4". So i use at least 5 mics to record drums, so i need the XLR - 1/4" cables.

ZEKE SAYER said:
Well, my recorder (Fostex vf-16) only has 8 inputs. (2 are the only XLR's) The rest are 1/4". So i use at least 5 mics to record drums, so i need the XLR - 1/4" cables.

Those 1/4" inputs are line inputs. Running mic's into them isn't going to work very well. You really need more mic pre's.

Fostex claims the 1/4 inch on that recorder are mic inputs
but yes they are only unbalnaced inputs.
Those inputs are real weak from everything I have read about that model of recorder and a preamp would be alot better.

I would look at maybe behringer or maybe you could pick up
3 audio buddys from m audio for about 80.00 apiece or Sta audio makes
a 8 channel single rack space mic preamp that goes for 200.00.

And then just pick up a bunch of cheap mic cables,
I think you will save yourself alot of time money and greaf buy going this way instead of try to get a snake that is not going to
work right.

Herm said:
Fostex claims the 1/4 inch on that recorder are mic inputs...

I stand corrected, then. Running 50 feet of unbalanced cable into a hi-Z mic input still won't sound very good though.

How about using normal XLR cable and then having an impedance matcher at the end...they run about 10-15/ea.?

What he said, run XLR low Z to the mixer,
and use a cheap transformer. $10 at
RadioShack, music stores everywhere.
Shure even sells some better quality ones
for more like $35.

HiZ lines pick up way too much noise,
and lose too much high end if they
are more than 10 feet long (Goes
for guitar cables as well).

Before you buy, check out the spacing
on your jacks. The normal transformers
are fat, and you often can't place them