Hi Hat Mics

PDP

There once was a note
I'm looking into getting an Electrovoice PL37 small condensor mic 99.00 (recommended for Hi-Hat) anyone use that mic ? What other mics are recommended for Hi-Hats?

I've heard these are great for the hats: AKG C451, SM81, KM84
I've never mic'd the hi hats though, never felt the need to. If anything, there's probably too much of them in the OHs.

I've heard these are great for the hats: AKG C451, SM81, KM84
I've never mic'd the hi hats though, never felt the need to. If anything, there's probably too much of them in the OHs.

Thanks, good point, I just want a stereo cymbal sound, I have a large condenser I can use on one side, maybe I should just use another large condensor? IDK. I'll google those mics, thanks for the reply.

Thanks, good point, I just want a stereo cymbal sound, I have a large condenser I can use on one side, maybe I should just use another large condensor? IDK. I'll google those mics, thanks for the reply.

You mean stereo cymbals from some source other than the OHs ? If so, that sounds like it has the potential for a bunch of phase issues. I'd experiment with OH settings first, they can make a huge difference. Try spreading them out more, panning them to extremes, or adjusting your cymbals so that each cymbal is closer to a certain OH.

I have used a Shure SM-57 for quite a while with no complaints for a live gigs, And when recording, a Shure BG 4.0 condenser.

You mean stereo cymbals from some source other than the OHs ? If so, that sounds like it has the potential for a bunch of phase issues. I'd experiment with OH settings first, they can make a huge difference. Try spreading them out more, panning them to extremes, or adjusting your cymbals so that each cymbal is closer to a certain OH.

In my personal experience, the overheads get the HH for the most part. Usually though, on a large kit, they are unbalanced in the stereo field. I tend to use a mic on the HH, more just to offset the overheads picking it up on one side. Last session, I used a SM7b (last mic available) on the HH. It was amazingly smooth, and allowed for tweaking the frequencies that I wanted to compensate for the HH being 'off center' with the rest of the kit. Obviously, the music style is the determination of how you deal with the placement of instruments, but in rock, I like the HH centered, but within a stereo image. It needs to fill the space as if it were coming from both left and right sides of the kit. Overheads alone will not get this. It will be in it's natural position on one side. I throw the HH mic (in mix-down) on the opposite side to get this feel from it. There is a fine line there though with phase issues. Sliding it a bit can help, but it depends on the rest of the mic placements.

I was assuming PDP wanted the HHs to one side. I always try to make sure the HHs are to one side, that's what sounds good to me.But yeah, getting them in the middle with OHs seems pretty unlikely.

Reads like you're mono O/H at this point? I would think opening up that option would be better. Lots of very workable (and inexpensive) mics will fill in just fine for hat duties.

Reads like you're mono O/H at this point? I would think opening up that option would be better. Lots of very workable (and inexpensive) mics will fill in just fine for hat duties.

Thanks, I bought a Shure PG81 off Ebay for 70 bucks, small condensor for percussion, cymbals and acoustic guitar, hopefully it will come in handy.

For the price, buy a pair of Karma silver bullets and give them a go. During my last drum session I used a pair as overheads instead of the usual condensers, the results were very interesting, I really liked the cymbal sound. I only bought them because they were on special for $29 pair.

However I just checked the web site and they are out of stock and have them on back order. You get a set of 7 drum mics for $99.

Here is another review. And a review with a photo, I love how small they are.

Alan.

Last edited:
Back