Help!! - Double Phantom Power ??

Carlos

Hello,

I have an 8-track mixer which I will use to connect my 7 new drum mics to. The new mics are condenser mics and the mixer provides phantom power. No problem so far!

5 of the condenser mics have phantom power adapters permanently attatched (meaning that external phantom power isn't needed). 2 of them don't. This means I will need phantom power on the mixer to power the two without adapters, so the phantom power on all 8 channels has to be switched on.

Does this mean that if I connect the 5 mics with phantom power adapters to the mixer which is already providing phantom power, these mics are receiving double the power?
Or will they work fine without being damaged?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Carlos

drstawl,

I thik it is AC, the adapter is actually part of the XLR male connector.

There is no battery I can take out from anywhere anyway!

Can you give us an answer for both AC and battery anyway, just in case I'm wrong!

Cheers,

Carlos

If it helps, the XLR connecter in much heavier than normal ones and on the side of it, it says:

PHANTOM POWER ADAPTER FOR 9-52 VOLTS

I would think that the microphones with internal phantom power would react just like a "passive" microphone and not be affected by the board supplied phantom power. In other words it would be like plugging an sm-57 or 58 into your mixer with phantom power turned on...shouldn't cause any harm.

Just try one at a time to see if it smokes!

That way you'll only wreck one mike.

There should be no problem, I am sure that there is compatabillity with powered boards.

You may get noise...listen criticaly.

Dom Franco

What kind of mic's are these? They are either powered by a battery or some kind of adapter that you plug into the wall.

If their is no adapter, then there has got to be a way to remove the batteries. If their is an adapter, maybe it would work if you don't plug it into the wall, and use the phantom off of the board.

On AKG's site they mention:

MPA II phantom power adapter
B 29 battery power supply
B 18 battery power supply
N 62 E, N 66 E AC power supply unit

I assume B 29 is some type of battery than can be installed internally, or B18 (no detailed info on their site as to what the difference is).

So your set. Find out if there are any batteries in it, if so take them out and use the board phantom power. I have no idea whether leaving them in and getting phantom power from the board would cause any damage. But on the safe side.

You have the AKG C418 wich do need the power from the board. What are the other mics? When I first got my Rode Clasic I hooked it up to a board that had phantom power on all of the channels. Well the power supply for the Rode sent out phantom power also. When the Rode was turned on, it shorted out the power supply for the board. You may have to get a dual mic pre for the two condensors that do not have thier own power supply. Then you can turn the phantom power off on your board. I have to run the Rode through an outboard Mic pre and record the line level that is produced.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 05-26-2000).]

Which brings up a question I've pondered, but haven't tried:

Can I use my tube mic(s), (which have their own power supply, of course), and Rodent-1 (using phantom power from the board) without harm to anything?

Lee

Fishmed:

Really? It outputs phamtom power? Are you sure? Maybe you are right. I didn't know that.

It would kinda seem pointless though. Wouldn't it? Maybe I'm wrong there too? I don't know. I'm confused again.

I'd be interested to find-out for sure. But if you're sure, I'll take you're word for it.

Back