C1 vs KSM 32

still4given

Got my ticket!
I know you guys get this all the time, but I ran search and couldn't really find the answer I need so I will ask it here.

I presently have these mics;
Rode NT1000
Octava MK319
Studio Projects B1
4x Sm58

I have a C1 on order but it is now backordered until Feb. sometime.

Meanwhile, I was just offered a new KSM 32 for a really good price. I've tried these in the store and they sounded really good to my ears. I have not had the chance to hear them in a mix.

So my question is, given the mics I already have, which one of these two mics would you purchase first? Keep in mind that this "deal" on this KSM 32 will be gone later.

Thanks much, Terry

Frankly, if you've already got an NT1000, the C1 is really just more of the same type of thing, give or take, if you ask me.

The ksm32 is a much more natural-sounding mic. Kind of like the B1, but only a great deal nicer (more focused, better with transients, tighter bass, etc.) The ksm is studio-caliber . . . the b1 is project studio caliber.

I'd say the 32 would give you a neutral mic on par with your more colored / flattering NT1000 . . . better, actually. It would quickly become your best mic.

I have both of these mic.
The KSM 32 is much better than the C1 IMO.
Just as said above, the KSM seems more "true" sound
and handles the upper mids better.
Almost everyone in my studio prefers it.

Chessrock, I'm far North.
Waukegan/Zion/Gurnee area. You familiar with it?
I run my own studio in my remodeled basement.

Esco1 said:
I run my own studio in my remodeled basement.

Don't we all? :D Yea, I've been in the City (Bucktown/Wicker Park area) for a while now. Been renting a place here since '98 . . . a converted loft which actually used to be a print shop. The area is zoned for commercial or residential. Been working and living here for a while now, and the studio is slowly but surely taking over the whole place, which was my original intention. In another couple years, the place should pretty much be mostly studio with a bedroom and kitchen in the back, I predict. :D

chessrock said:
Yea, I've been in the City (Bucktown/Wicker Park area)

Yeah, I'm familiar with that area. Actually I have some musician
friends that live there. If they ever want a studio to record at, I'll
send them your way(I'm confident in your ability since I've already
checked out your mp3's:))

I own a C1 and a KSM44. I havent tried the KSM32, but from my experience, I use the KSM44 on almost anything with very good results and haven't liked the C1 yet on most things I've tried.

I record acoustic instruments, and this is where the KSM44 really shines. While I don't record much vocals, I keep the C1, because it is a quality mic and I know sometime a singer will come along that needs its sound.

Pete

still4given said:
I was just offered a new KSM 32 for a really good price.

Sometimes the KSM32 works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it's definately a mic worth having. It's on the neutral side, and I quite like it on a lot of things. If you can get a good price, I'd say go for it. After you've used it a while, you'll of course want to check out some other mic's to add more colours to your palette, but I think you'll always find a use for the KSM32.

Cool,

I guess My ears weren't wrong. I wanted a KSM32 really badly when I bought my first mic, NT1000, but I just couldn't afford it at the time and the NT1000 was the next best sounding mic of the dozen or so that I tried in my price range. Not haveing heard the C1, from the things I've read I thought it might be similar to my NT1000 but wasn't sure. It just seems I read so many raves about the C1 and rarely anything about the KSM32 that I was beginning to wonder which was the better mic. I guess the difference in price is a big part of why I see more about the C1.

Thanks for the responces. I'd love to hear a few more opinions on this.

Blessings, Terry

I also have the ksm32 and I also have the ntk.

The ksm32 is just a good mic it pretty much gives you what you
put into it. Nice and clean no harshness no top sizzle, Its just
a nice mic and it comes with two mic supports and a case.
when you hold it in your hand it has a feel of being built with
quality in mind.

I was just wandering around on Prosoundweb the other day, and came accross this :

Apparently, the dude tracks acc guitar and vocals with the ksm32, through a Mackie board.

i've never used a C1 or any of the NTK's, but I do have the ksm32. I like it better on instruments than vocals. On vox, it's a little monochromatic and boring. Just my opinion of course... as Fletcher says: YMMV.

littledog said:
i've never used a C1 or any of the NTK's, but I do have the ksm32. I like it better on instruments than vocals. On vox, it's a little monochromatic and boring. Just my opinion of course... as Fletcher says: YMMV.

Then, in your estimation, is the C1 a better sounding vocal mic? Also, being that I already have a NT1000, which some suggest is similar to the C1, do you think I would be better off getting the KSM32?

Thanks, Terry

chessrock said:
I was just wandering around on Prosoundweb the other day, and came accross this :

Apparently, the dude tracks acc guitar and vocals with the ksm32, through a Mackie board.

Well, that works for me, nice mic and nice recording... and talent. Thanks

If I may, I'd like to throw one more mic into the mix. I just keep hearing so many good things about the NTK. I would like to know what you guys think about it. I know it would cost me more than I can get the KSM32 for but I'm wondering if it might be worth the extra.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks, Terry

The NTK's a little different, obviously, since it's a tube mic. I really dig it -- very cool sound.

The way I tend to work is I would get the KSM now since it's available cheap, :D then I might wait for another day when maybe I found a similar deal for the NTK, and then I'd ebay the NT1000 and jump on that.

If you don't decide on the KSM, then email me -- snailinajar@yahoo.com before it's sold to someone else. I'm seriously just waiting on the right deal.

I love my NTK on vocals, acoustic guitar, and percussion doodads (when the doodad needs to be really upfront). However, I hear it is very similar to the NT1000, which you already have. The NTK is on the bright side, like the NT1000, so it may behoove you to have a nice mic on the neutral side. I'd get the KSM32.

still4given said:
Then, in your estimation, is the C1 a better sounding vocal mic? Also, being that I already have a NT1000, which some suggest is similar to the C1, do you think I would be better off getting the KSM32?

Thanks, Terry

since you quoted me before your question, i'll assume the question is directed at me.

ummm... which part of "I've never used a C-1" didn't you understand? :D

Back