Another Mic Tube Question...

kidvybes

I know that all the 12 series (12at7, 12ax7, 12ay7, etc...) are interchangeable for different sound/gain variables in a mic, but does anyone know if a mic (RODE NTK) using a 6922/E88CC can be upgraded to a 12at7 tube? (more specifically an very rare NOS Siemens E81CC/12at7)...
and are 6072 tubes also interchangeable with the 6922/E88CC tubes?...socket config appears the same...just curious...Thanks!

Someone on this board had a post about replacing the tub in the NTK with a seimens and they were quite dissappointed that there was no audible difference. $100 tube if i remember right.

Let's get real...

I scored some vintage 60's NOS German-manufactured Siemens E81CC's on Ebay for $9.99 a pair...they go for about $100. per tube on the "boutique" tube sites...I had them checked out and they both test "as new"...the seller neglected to list the commonly cross-referenced "12AT7" in the auction title, so nobody bid on them but me...my good fortune...

...anyway, it's supposed to read, "PUT A $5. TUBE IN A $400. MIC?"...Damnstraight!

*****what the hell is it on this website with the "if it ain't a Neumann (pronounced: Annoy-Mann) it ain't worth crap" rhetoric...
It's "H-O-M-E-R-C-O-R-D-I-N-G . C-O-M", remember...

Last edited:
kidvybes said:
*****what the hell is it on this website with the "if it ain't a Neumann (pronounced: Annoy-Mann) it ain't worth crap" retoric...
It's "H-O-M-E-R-C-O-R-D-I-N-G . C-O-M", remember...

WTF are you talking about?

You obviously just got into town.............

try reading it again...

No, actually I've been in town, making records, with ALL types of mics...most of which were not (here it comes again...) Neumann...

FWIW most of the posts written by pro AE's (like at Gearslutz) seem to evaluate the NTK as being pretty harsh sounding, This confirms when I tried one out too. (having a bright voice to begin with didn't help though!)

One option would be to ebay your NTK and get something else smooth, like a EV RE16 (or RE15). The RE16 is doomed to discontinuation (like the RE15)
probably pretty soon. So they both make a good collectible investment along with inherently excellent sound quality. EV's poor product promotion can be
a homereccer's gain! :)

Electro-Voice had designed them to mimic the smooth sounding RCA 77 ribbon mic "style" sound, and they have both been used on many million+ selling hits in the 60's and 70's.

Particular favorites with AE's at Chess and RCA(!) Records respectively BTW.

My RE15 compares exceedingly well to various "classic" (expensive)
vocal mics tried so far, like the RCA 77, U47 (repro), and '251 (repro).

Chris

kidvybes said:
No, actually I've been in town, making records, with ALL types of mics...most of which were not (here it comes again...) Neumann...

There are hundreds of great high-end mics. Brauner, Earthworks, Neumann, Telefunkin, AT, AKG etc.

All will make great records.

Now, go sort through your chinese wannabe mics and find that "keeper" so that you can show the world your talent.

Isn't it ironic...

...funny how a thread that concerns the tweaking of an Australian microphone gets twisted back to that "Chinese-Mic Bashing" thing again...Hmmmm...do I see a pattern here?...

Chessparov...thank YOU for some 'constructive' info, anyway...

I've stated this in a previous post somewhere, but I'll say it again: I changed the stock tube from my Rode K2 with a NOS Telefunken ECC88 and it's like a different mic now... I love it on vocals!
I paid $60.00 for the tube, well worth it to me...

I have to disagree with any pro that says the NTK is harsh. It has an edgy bump around 2.5 that can be easily controlled by mic position. It is in fact a relatively smooth mic if you don't sing directly into the capsule. In fact the NTK is excellent at popping the vocal over a track. That said, I would not use it on a tenor or thin female voice. Just won't work. Most male vocals and thicker female voices do quite well with the NTK.

Inexperienced engineers tend to allow their clients to sing directly into a large condensors. If you set any condensor above the bridge of the nose to reduce air flow, you get the quality of the mic without the upper response. Another mic that comes to mind with this characteristic, although not as dramatic, is the U87.

Last edited:
Middleman said:
Inexperienced engineers tend to allow their clients to sing directly into a large condensors. If you set any condensor above the bridge of the npse to reduce air flow, you get the quality of the mic without the upper response.

Yep, I'll agree with that one... Learned that works well with the K2 as well...

Middleman said:
NTK mics go for around $400.
I was being silly! The point was that ANY quality tube replacement will change the sound of the mic, no need to search the globe for the holy grail of 12at7's.

kidvybes said:

Then what do you need us for, dipfuck???

As for original question:

kidvybes said:
I know that all the 12 series (12at7, 12ax7, 12ay7, etc...) are interchangeable for different sound/gain variables in a mic, but does anyone know if a mic (RODE NTK) using a 6922/E88CC can be upgraded to a 12at7 tube? (more specifically an very rare NOS Siemens E81CC/12at7)...
and are 6072 tubes also interchangeable with the 6922/E88CC tubes?...socket config appears the same...just curious...Thanks!

No, they are not interchangable as they have completely different pinout. If you do it, most likely you will damage the tube or PSU or both. Besides, ECC88 is a frame grid tube, specifically designed for work in a cascode circuit. Although NTK is not a cascode, this tube is more suited for the type of the circuit it has (transformerless hybrid, with SS output, IIRC).

The "inexperienced AE's" referred to in my last post are folks like Mark Plancke. I'd like to be that "inexperienced" too:)

The discontinued Rode "Classic' is reputed to be a big sleeper, if you can find one.
The new Rode K2 is supposed to outshine the NTK also on many singers.

Personally have a bias towards "thick" sounding tube LDC's ala SP T3 or
a Manley Reference in the higher end $$$ range.

Chris

Back