Sample issues with Motif 8 Classic

warble2

Not an expert
Hey all,
To anyone who may have used samples in a Motif classic before, I curious about an issue I'm having. I maxed out the ram to 64 MB's with a pair of simms purchased from eBay. Supposed to be guaranteed to work, and it does for resampling and my own sampling done via the AD inputs.

I decided to purchase the Studio 88 piano samples from KeyFax - great samples IMO. Loaded them up in my Motif, and a strange "white noise" type sound particularily when really stricking the keys.

If you would, listen to this short audio .wav file (only about 4 megs) I recorded with the issue:
http://www.warrengene.com/sample_noise.wav

You'll hear the noise come in when I strike the keys harder, and the noise seems to stay with the fading of the sample. I know it's not the samples, it's gotta be something with my Motif.

Anyone ever experience sample noise issues like this?

I think I might try better ram (Edge Tech has a good price online), but am just curious if anyone experienced this, and what a resolution might have been.

Have you posted this question at www.motifator.com ?

Yeah, Bad Mister (Phil) responded initially, but hasn't revisted the thread to hear the sample I put up. I ordered new simms from Edge Tech, and will see how those work. I contacted the seller on eBay about the possible bad ones I was sold, and they were responsive to helping make sure the simms are OK.

I'll see what happens with the new simms when they arrive.

Good peeps over there too...

Brad helped me out with a diagnostics test accessed by holding down two buttons while powering the Motif on. Found out the ram is NG (no good) for the Motif.

Motif Es

:cool:Yo Warbling one:

I was just viewing a DVD which is entitled "A Complete Guide to the Yam Motif ES.

Don't know if viewing this might not add to understanding some things about the synth. I have one and love the sounds. However, the DVD illustrates doing some things that blow my mind.

The "dude" doing the demo isn't really organized and he hits some buttons without identifying the "reason" for pushing them. But, it's worth a look if you want to see some of the fantastic machinations this unit is capable of doing.

I hope I live another 200 years so I can cover all of the possibilities. :rolleyes:

Green Hornet

:cool:Yo Warbling one:

I was just viewing a DVD which is entitled "A Complete Guide to the Yam Motif ES.

Don't know if viewing this might not add to understanding some things about the synth. I have one and love the sounds. However, the DVD illustrates doing some things that blow my mind.

The "dude" doing the demo isn't really organized and he hits some buttons without identifying the "reason" for pushing them. But, it's worth a look if you want to see some of the fantastic machinations this unit is capable of doing.

I hope I live another 200 years so I can cover all of the possibilities. :rolleyes:

Green Hornet

Yeah, even though I'm dealing with the "classic" here, are the fundamentals the same from this one to the ES? I know the ES has a few changes in it.

I've just got started with my Motif and love it. I'm amazed at the sounds in comparison to my S80. I love the feel of the keys as well.

:DYo Warble:

There "MUST" be many similarities between the units. I recently bought an AW1600 as my 2816 developed a fractured "return to go button." The 2816 still functions; however, I often have to pry the button to an upright position to use it.

I mention this because the operating system between the 2816 and the 1600 are about the same. Just has different buttons and [YUK] a smaller LCD screen on the 1600.

So, I'm guessing there will be similer sounds/functions etc.

What I like about the Motif ES is that the sounds/patches I use to over-dub have such good settings that I seldom have to add reverb or EQ to any of the motif tracks. Still use EQ on vocals and once in a while I push the patches on the drum box. The possibilities of the Motif are very big, just like any of the other major synths on the market.

I got a 101 download for my 1600 which is great. Folks who do these things ought do more 101 lessons for large-brained synths.

Rainy in Michigan but no really cold.
Cheers,
Green Hornet

:cool:YO BSR:

You look very familiar, like some guy I met at a "far out gig."

Don't know what you do with TWO giant Yamahas but I'll bet it's awesome.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

:cool:YO BSR:

You look very familiar, like some guy I met at a "far out gig."

Don't know what you do with TWO giant Yamahas but I'll bet it's awesome.

Cheers,
Green Hornet
Hope you're not referring to my avatar...lolz :p

About the Yammies, I only use the classic live with Karma and TR61. The ES stays at home :) till I'm satisfied with my programming :D

Back