JS-5 Jamstation

virtual.ray

I spent an hour or so listening to and fooling around with the new Boss JS-5 today at a local store.For it's intended use,I can see that it would be pretty cool to have around.If you are familiar with the Boss DR-5,this is a new version of that concept.You can set up chord changes and have them played by up to 4 instruments in a variety of styles,but what's new is that you can record audio into the machine,and then time stretch it to fit the tempo of the song you want!Plus although you can use SmartMedia cards to record more audio,you can also bulk dump the audio to a MIDI sequencer as you would with patches.The sound quality is pretty good,too,and the fx are tweakable.

I posted a question about the JS-5 in the "RACK" section but haven't gotten any replies. (Maybe I posted it in the wrong place.)

Anyway, I was wondering how it compares to the Dr. Rhythm Section (is that the DR-5?) which is much cheaper than the JS-5. What I'm basically after is a good sounding band-in-a-box that will allow me to easily program my own progressions.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have a Jam Station and I think it is "better" than the Dr. Rythem (although I only had a very limited amount of hands on with the Dr. Rythem).

The Jam Station has very good performances (sequences) and some decent sounds (with MIDI in you can use it as a sound module). Obviously, you are locked into the styles available (although you can pick and choose between styles).

I use the software programs Band-In-A-Box and Jammer as songwriting tools - and I think Jam Station serves that purpose almost as well) - although the main reason I got it was to practise guitar. As a practise tool it is very good.

I think with enough smart media cards (for storing "songs") you could actually use it as a back up band for a solo gig.

BluesJunkie- Mikey is right. D/L the trial version of Jammer Pro V4.0 from Soundtrek - it will do everything you want for about $100 (full version). I'm using it for rough song demos and it's great!

Bob

Buffalo Bob,
I have the JS-5 and want to do some home recording with it. I also play in a 1 man band and use it as a backing track. Can you tell me what I need to buy to record on my computer with the JS-5?

Buffalo Bob,
I have the JS-5 and want to do some home recording with it. I also play in a 1 man band and use it as a backing track. Can you tell me what I need to buy to record on my computer with the JS-5?

Any computer audio interface will do. Tascam makes some good quality interfaces, and they're not too expensive.
Or,... you can get a RCA to 1/8 ( mini headphone plug ) to go from your JS-5 to the microphone "IN" port on your computer,..
but the results may not be as good.

If you get one of those Y adapters, plug it into the LINE IN jack on your sound card. Not the MIC IN jack.

plug it into the LINE IN jack on your sound card. Not the MIC IN jack.

Even better, if it has that too. My laptop here only has a mic in, and headphone out,...but then again, my tower has several different inputs. I was just stating what to do with the bare minimums.

Buffalo Bob,

Hmm...I have (2) 1/4" out or 1 stereo out...then I can just get an adapter to 1/8", plug into the mic? Sound to simple:)...I have Audacity Software so somehow the computer will know that I am trying to record from the mic right?

Thanks, I have been playing guitar live for about 30 yrs but am just getting into all of the recording stuff in home now...

Hmm...I have (2) 1/4" out or 1 stereo out...then I can just get an adapter to 1/8", plug into the mic? Sound to simple...I have Audacity Software so somehow the computer will know that I am trying to record from the mic right?

Thanks, I have been playing guitar live for about 30 yrs but am just getting into all of the recording stuff in home now...

Hmm...I have (2) 1/4" out or 1 stereo out...then I can just get an adapter to 1/8", plug into the mic? Sound to simple...I have Audacity Software so somehow the computer will know that I am trying to record from the mic right?

Yes,..There should be a little box on top in Audacity that lets you choose which input you'll be using. Once you choose your input,...just set your levels for the microphone, line, etc.

Back