I want an 88 full-weighted midi controller. Suggestions?

dreamache

My girlfriend is a very good piano player and I want to have her start recording some stuff. Since her piano isn't the greatest sounding and I'm not even going to think about mic'ing it, I want to use samples (Synthogy), and she won't play on anything that doesn't feel as close to as a real piano.

So I want suggestions on 88 full-weighted keys, (same width etc...) and *just* a midi controller. It doesn't need to have any other bells & whistles.

Thanks!

petermiller said:
Try the m-audio prokeys88 ,maybe a casio priviapx110, CME uf8 or vx8 , one of the most popular is the studiologic SL990pro, or find a used PC88 or something like that.

Ok, thanks for all of the suggestions. Since I don't know anything about pianos though, aren't there generally three "pedals" a pianist uses? I notice the StudioLogic SL990Pro mentions it has 1 jack for a "sustainable" pedal, and that's it. Is it missing a jack for the other two?

dreamache said:
Ok, thanks for all of the suggestions. Since I don't know anything about pianos though, aren't there generally three "pedals" a pianist uses? I notice the StudioLogic SL990Pro mentions it has 1 jack for a "sustainable" pedal, and that's it. Is it missing a jack for the other two?

This is where you might run into some problems. There are some controllers that have the other pedal connections, but most are going to have the sustain pedal input only.

As far as keyboard action is concerned, stay away from the M-Audio's. They've got great features at a great price, but if your girlfriend is a pianist, she will laugh at the action. I'm very fond of the Yamaha Keyboards action, and what you might consider is getting something like a P-Series and then using synthogy instead of the built in sounds. Also might try the S08 or S90's since they would have some extra controllers too (pitch bend, mod wheel, etc...)

I agree about the previous M-audio comment. They don't feel at all like a real piano to me.

dreamache said:
My girlfriend is a very good piano player and I want to have her start recording some stuff. Since her piano isn't the greatest sounding and I'm not even going to think about mic'ing it, I want to use samples (Synthogy), and she won't play on anything that doesn't feel as close to as a real piano.

So I want suggestions on 88 full-weighted keys, (same width etc...) and *just* a midi controller. It doesn't need to have any other bells & whistles.

Thanks!

Here's my question, do you think you're going to get better (and by that I mean more realistic) sounds from samplers versus actually micing the piano? Maybe it just needs a tune up?

RAK is right, you should really seriously consider micing the piano you have. Just placing a PZM mic in there would do the trick. I have yet to find a sample which sounds better (at least to my ears) than even the crappiest acoustic.

cjacek said:
RAK is right, you should really seriously consider micing the piano you have. Just placing a PZM mic in there would do the trick. I have yet to find a sample which sounds better (at least to my ears) than even the crappiest acoustic.

Honestly I'm quite impressed with the audio demos I've heard from Synthogy. So if that is the type of quality I'll get, I'll be more than happy with the results. Plus where her piano is, it's just not worth it.

dreamache said:
Honestly I'm quite impressed with the audio demos I've heard from Synthogy. So if that is the type of quality I'll get, I'll be more than happy with the results. Plus where her piano is, it's just not worth it.

Hey, if that's the sound you're going for and you're happy with the results then go for it. ;)

dreamache said:
Then get a Studiologic and be done with it :)

Honestly, I believe it's a toss up between a Yamaha S90 (big bucks) or the Fatar/Studiologic (much less dinero) for best weighted keyboard feel.

The Ivory piano rocks.

dreamache said:
Plus where her piano is, it's just not worth it.

How do you mean? A PZM under the hood is a good idea (or is it an upright?). You can always "fake" the room with a little reverb, which can actually end up sounding nice if done right.

He doesn't like the sound of the piano.

RAK said:
How do you mean? A PZM under the hood is a good idea (or is it an upright?). You can always "fake" the room with a little reverb, which can actually end up sounding nice if done right.

I have a StudioLogic 880 (predecessor to 990).
The action is great. I bought it for my kids when they were young because the piano teacher INSISTED on a real piano. When he tried out my studio controller he could not believe it was so realistic.

I wish you were local to me, I'd sell it to you in a heartbeat. I dont play much and could use a small synth action one instead. It is a beast!

Tom

fraserhutch said:
He doesn't like the sound of the piano.

True, but he said "WHERE" the piano is it isn't worth it, to me that implied a room issue, that's what I was responding to, the "WHERE"

I just bought a Yammy P70, and I love the thing. Yamaha's piano feel to me is just far superior to any others out there. Plus the piano and Rhoads patch on the P70 are pretty damn good.

Back