How do you simulate guitar feedback?

Toddskins

Before I turn my keyboards on and start playing around, I hope some one of you can give me a good idea on how to synthesize that screeching feedback sound electric guitarists are able to get.

I wish to turn up my Mod Wheel to bring out that high-pitched feedback sound, on one of my lead synth sounds.

Add some type of layer? What kind?

Use some wave form and turn up the amp part of the process?

Feedback itself is defined as a signal that loops back into itself, am I right?

How would you go about doing this?

Also, please tell me if in your example, does it make a difference whether you are using DSP or analog.

Thanks

There's a plug -don't remember the name, looked like it would be lots of fun but I passed -I-Lock.

MicroKorg synth has a preset called the "Hip Hop Whistle".. getting up into the higher octaves sounds JUST like feedback on a distorted guitar through a peavey 5150.. here is a link to a band i recorded, the track leavers (towards the end) has this effect played out nicely.. atleast i think so, an I know the mix isn't that great, btw.

-Paul

http://www.myspace.com/aperilousmomentum

Discovered solution!

I found some patches for my Kurzweil - Ultimate Guitars by Sweetwater.

Here's how they did it.:

An additional layered sound, over the main guitar sound, of a Sine Wave going through a DSP of low resonant bass with separation (not that this part is really critical - I imagine you could use other types), with a slow attack.

So, the guitar sounds normal, and then the other sound comes in after a couple of seconds, with growing amplitude.

I'm just going to copy that layer of sound to my other sound, and modify the attack of the envelope to my ModWheel so I can bring the squeal in sooner, at and my whim.

Back