funky rhodes with midi-controller keyboard

miuhuru

hey,

i'm using evp88 for rhodes
i'm buying a mid-controller a cheap one with at least 49 touch sensitive keys

does it do it- the rhodes

or do i need more features for the keyboard

miuhuru

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here, but I picked up a Roland RS-5 for about $350 used, and it has a great Rhodes sound in my oppinion (my keyboard player was impressed with it's sound too). It works as a Midi triggering device (no aftertouch, but good touch sensitivity). I think they are available for about $500 USD new. I am very happy with mine, but it's kind of lightweight, and I probably wouldn't gig with it because it's mostly plastic. If you are asking for a cheap trigger keyboard with a good Rhodes sound, I think the RS-5 is a good deal.

Are you asking if a midi controller will trigger your evp88 soft synth? If so, all you'll need is a midi interface for your computer.

Any keyboard with a MIDI out (controller or no) will work, BUT, if you want the performance to even come close to a Rhodes, you'll need a weighted keyboard.

Aftertouch? There's no aftertouch on a real Rhodes, so how does it help you with a plug in?

Carl

I use a Kurz SP-88 as a controller for my EVP-73 (the VST version of the EVP-88 - the 88 only works in Logic). Even though the keys don't feel much like a piano, and especially not like a Rhodes, they give enough tactile resistance to play with feeling and assurance.

The SP-88 has its own sounds, but they aren't very good - ESPECIALLY the EP sounds. But as a controller, it's great.

Daf

Back