Brass and Reed Sound Modules......

MISTERQCUE

Not Just Anutha Brutha
....since I don't alsways have access to a horn section
I need a module that can come as close to as possible to
replicating a horn section. I have the JV-1080 and when the upper register of my keys is used to play Sax and Trumpet Hi-C's, it starts sounding like a cross between a organ and strings.
Budget is bet 400-700. Thx for your help!

A decent sampler might do what you're looking to do, I've had good luck with brass sounds. Synth horns always sound cheesy to me. Some of the synth keyboards that use samples as basic waveforms may be good, but I don't know much about those.

Thanks bill, I have the Boss SP202 yet I still can't
come up with a brass and reed likeness.
Oh well, ain't nuthin like the real thing huh!

What's the SP? A sample based thing? I'm a little out of touch with some of the recent technology. Alot of times, one subtle key to good brass sounds is the mix. Too many people try to put them way up front, where anything but the real thing will be very noticeable. Back in the mix and with a good ear for the right effects can help.

The best sax (other than using a sampler) at least IMO is the Kuzweil 1200 (the sound may be on other Kurz units). It allows after pressure to trigger a growl - very cool. I always thought the D50 had decent brass sounds

I'm a drummer (with decent keyboard/guitar chops) who has been in alot of horn bands. I love working with horns. I can suggest the following when recording horn lines:

1. Understand the range of each instrument ie: don't attempt a sax sound an octive higher than a real horn can hit

2. Understand the phrasing of each horn. Avoid playing "keyboard riffs" - play horn riffs.

3. Record each horn line seperate - if you want a triad - record three tracks one note each

4. Play in a mono mode (synth only plays 1 note at a time)- horns can only hit one note at a time

5. Use the bend to slide into some notes - works very well in solo applications

6. As previously stated, keep the horns relatively low in the mix

7. If possible find a keyboard with a breath control option - the DX21 was a great "cheap" board

Much appreciated mikeh. True, I'm into jazz-funk,syncopated-funk,Q-funk (some new-sh#t I'm tryin'to develop)R&B/Jazz funk,southern funk,I can go on and on... You're right about
using the keys and thinking like a horn. A lotta' times people who use horn samples tend to forget that brass and reeds play "1 note at a time" and tend to try and get TOO
creative using techniques that a horn section would never do or be able to do!
Thx again.
Peace
Mr.Q

I've had good luck even with samplesd horns by using volume and expression pedals to get swells and sforzando effects.Brass instruments get brighter the louder the player blows,so sometimes even riding the EQ during playback can get you closer.

Back