battery powered synths

zorf

Been searchin for a battery powered synth for times when i want to
go ac free. Could get by with basic sounds, nothing special. A gm set would even do in a pinch. I also need something dc powered with good bass sounds that i can
use with my roland pk-5. they could be the same unit or separate.
I'm trying to avoid bringing a car battery and inverter setup.
Key concepts here: small, light, simple. And because this is "homerecording"
cheap is good of course.

I hate to send anyone there, but WalMart (or Target or KMart) might have a Yamaha or a Casio that would run on batteries --- and have speakers too...

thanks,
Yeah i assumed i might end up with the kind of keyboard they sell at a toy
store.
I guess i'm looking for a sleeper.
If someone were to say such and such model is a piece of crud but it has
a suprisingly great organ sound or great strings,etc.
Especiallly nterested in bass sounds right now. Just a long shot, i know.

Especiallly nterested in bass sounds right now.

Funny you should mention bass sounds.

In my snooping around the web on your behalf I was reminded that a Roland mono synth from 1983 called the SH-101 could be battery powered and is a bass synth of global repute, especially among the dance crowd where a good, solid bass is a must.

You'll need a battery powered amp to play it through but I can't help you there...

Oh yeah. They're very desirable too. Expect to spend in the $500 range for one in 100% working condition.

If you have a laptop, a virtual instrument would get you a good sound and be very portable. I don't know of any general purpose synths of pro or near pro quality that are battery powered. You are right, you'll be looking at toys.

Thanks Albert,
I was hoping to avoid taking my laptop out in public.
But maybe thats the way to go.
Thanks for the helpful comments about the roland, also.
I'll keep researching.

Been searchin for a battery powered synth for times when i want to
go ac free. Could get by with basic sounds, nothing special. A gm set would even do in a pinch. I also need something dc powered with good bass sounds that i can
use with my roland pk-5. they could be the same unit or separate.
I'm trying to avoid bringing a car battery and inverter setup.
Key concepts here: small, light, simple. And because this is "homerecording"
cheap is good of course.

Kawai PH50. (mid 80's)...goes for ages on some 'D' cells!!
This is a little 'gem', with many functions...some I'm still finding 20 years later!.
Had mine for 22 years, pretty sick, small 'production' type synth/keyboard...with midi and an interesting percussion section.
All of my 'synth'/string recordings were/are done on this little baby....(linked below).
Have no idea of price on these things...

Someone mentioned the Roland 'SH'...what a beautiful little unit that is, but it's a 'collector's item, therefore expensive!!

Attachments

• kawai ph50.jpg
    kawai ph50.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
U may be asking for the impossible. There's a 90% chance that anything worth using will NOT be battery powered AND inexpensive.

There's still that 10% chance that there is, though. As long as there's hope, there's Google... :d

Back