What's a good guitar for around $250

ds21

Just looking for something to play and get some song down, just got back from a local music store and the sales person steered me to and Alveraz (don't know the model) and Ibanez PF10 both with solid tops and under $250, any others I should look at?

If you don't want to do really serious recording, the Ibanez
should be ok.....or a Washburn D10S.....

Be warned, the Washburn is Chinese made, and the Ib is Korean...the older Ibs of that model were Japanese, and were really very cool.....the newer ones might even be made in Indonesia, I dunno......

There are lots of reviews at Harmony Central on both makes.....The Washburn seems to fair better, but keep in mind Harmony Central is a cheese factory sometimes, meant for 12 year olds that need to vent.......

I have the Washburn, and I really like it, but I don't think I would record with it.....it has a great sound for the price, but not enough bass for a recorded sound.....in my opinion........

However, I can take the Washburn anywhere and bang hell out of it, get a good sound, and write stuff..... I assume that's kinda what you're looking for....

And the Washburn or probably even the Ib can get banged around and taken outside in bad weather, etc, which I will not do with my Martin......after 3 years, I'm still paranoid about dinging it.....go figure.......gibs
:cool:

if you can find a decent used mex start and replace some of the electronics (at least the pots - they suck) you should be on your way.

There are plenty of good "I just want to learn guitar and have fun" guitars under $250, but adding recording into the mix knocks a lot of them out.

For electric:

Hollow body: Ibanez Artcore series.

Solid Body: Fender Mexicans Teles and Strats. Replace pickups w/ Rio Grandes and you've got a better stick than most out there.

Acoustic: GC has a Tak that's running $200.00 that I got for my buddy. It's got the electronics, that are ok on stage, but crap into a board. However, a nice condensor mic and we've had some good recordings from this thing...

I've played an Alvarez for the past ~6 yrs. It's my first to grab, and my best sounding guitar.

Blind Cowboy...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the Washburn and Takamine. Like I said just need it to get ideas down, for recording my sister has a upper-end washburn, Ibanez, and a 2000 limited Edition Takamine, so I think I can find something to work for recording;)

P.S. Oh yeah it an acoustic I'm looking for.

used gear

Get a used guitar. Check its intonation and its neck, then you're set. Newer guitars look good but don't always sound well. If you're gonna record, forget about the built in electronics get one or two condenser mics. Built in electronics are only good for live performances. Look for seagulls or older takamines, you might find something with solid top at least. Don't get those composite or laminated top crappy guitars.

The D10S Washburn is great bang for the buck. It actually even stays in tune despite the no name tuners. It's good looking too.

gibs, wish I could have your paranoia about your Martin. I want one ! Or a Taylor !

The Washburn is the best brand new cheap flat top I've played in years, but with your stated budget, I tend to agree that a used guitar is a better buy.-Richie

$ 250 is pretty rough to find something that's not going to make you mad. For a little more, though, check out the Carvin Cobalts. Carvin is putting a lot of effort into getting a little market share, and they're pumping out some pretty clean entry level stuff. You might find a good fit - more for your money than a Tak.

Pro Audio Review

Harmony Central Reviews

Carvin

Thanks for the input all

as luck would have it, I went to one of my sisters gigs and her husband was there, told him I was going to get a guitar... and he said "hey I had an Alverez that I gave my nephew, and he doesn't play it", next thing you know the kids mother shows up and says "yeah he can just have the guitar", 20 minutes later I've got a free guitar, It's nothing great but it will hold me over till I save some more money to get a better midrange guitar!

the guitar i play most is an alvarez. $200 sticker, but because it was a cosmetic factory second (a couple of smudges in the finish on the BACK of the guitar), it went out the door for $120. damn thing sounds better than most of the guitars i play (at least until i sit down in a room filled with nice boutique guitars, then i know what i'm missing-a ton of money to throw into one of those beauties), has a nice easy neck, and if i scratch it up (haven't yet) i don't have to go home and blow my brains out over it. now i just need to dig up some rudimentary electronics for it.

ds21

You lucked out, man.....

My cousin has an Alvarez, and it's a workhorse !....it stays in tune also and is nice looking as well.....congrats!.......gibs:cool:

Back