Wanted: Leslie emulator/effect (that sounds like one)

Easto

Hello,

I've been trying to find an effect module that truly emulates the sound of a Leslie speaker. Years ago I had the chance to play through one and I yearn for that almost mystical sound and feeling you get from them. I know I can't do anything about the feeling of the air rushing about but... every effect that I've run into that says it recreates this sound just doesn't seem to be how I remember it. Maybe I'm just chasing a dream but I was hoping for some of your input.

Thanks,
Easto

Easto,
I'm sure there are a bunch out there, maybe pod has one. But I'm sure it won't compare to the real thing. I ran across one for sale in Green Bay at a big music shop. I thought it was cool, but not useful. The owner said it was a trade in from a keyboardist. Good luck hunting.

Half the sound of a Leslie is not just the AM/FM thing from the rotory speaker system but the grunge from its 40 watt tube amp. Anything else is just panning. Not much help, I know. Sorry.

www.kvraudio.com - the "mda" series of effects has a leslie simulator that let's you play with the low and high end rotation/freq transition/etc... also the mr ray (same person anyways...) makes an effects box with a leslie simulator in it. there are a couple of ones that aren't free but they have demos and they sound pretty good as well... just go to KVR and do a search on "leslie" and you'll find a bunch... i like the mda leslie and use it on organ sounds quite a lot.

Thanks for the leads! I'll give them all a look.

The Digitech and Boss stuff I've tried just ain't makin' it!

gullfo said:
www.kvraudio.com - the "mda" series of effects has a leslie simulator that let's you play with the low and high end rotation/freq transition/etc... also the mr ray (same person anyways...) makes an effects box with a leslie simulator in it. there are a couple of ones that aren't free but they have demos and they sound pretty good as well... just go to KVR and do a search on "leslie" and you'll find a bunch... i like the mda leslie and use it on organ sounds quite a lot.
Yup!The mda is a very convincing simulator!

i heard a sample on the electro harmonix website of the P.O.G through a chorus pedal and while it's not a leslie, it was definitely leslie like. i don't feel like looking for the link though. sorry

I was impressed with the Hughes and Kettner product as far as Leslie simulation goes. I personally own a Motion Sound AR-112, which is not quite like a true leslie because it lacks the directionality imparted by the high frequencies emitted by a rotating horn. The AR-112 as well as its 70s predecessors made by Fender and Leslie (can't remember the name, but you can hear one at the begining of "Black Hole Sun", by Soundgarten)have a rotating baffle in front of a dynamic speaker.

A great guitar through a real Leslie is Robin Trower's playing on the Procol Harum "Home" album. Listen to the first track "About to Die" and that should refresh your memory.

Peace out,

JD

Back