Traveling with guitars and a combo amp

This time of year, Wisconsin and California are somewhat close in temperature and humidity. What you go through along the way won't really matter.

As has been said, the amp can go in the trunk. Just make sure it can't fall over and nothing can fall on it that will go through the speaker or break a knob off, etc...

The guitars will be fine. They don't need to be air conditioned, or not air conditioned. Hell, there are hundreds of bands touring the US with all the equipment bouncing around in a uhaul trailer. Everything will be ok in your car. The trip through Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa Isn't going to be full of potholes, land mines, ice storms or giant aliens attempting to ruin your instruments. It will.simply be mind-numbingly boring once you get into Nebraska.

This time of year, Wisconsin and California are somewhat close in temperature and humidity. What you go through along the way won't really matter.

As has been said, the amp can go in the trunk. Just make sure it can't fall over and nothing can fall on it that will go through the speaker or break a knob off, etc...

The guitars will be fine. They don't need to be air conditioned, or not air conditioned. Hell, there are hundreds of bands touring the US with all the equipment bouncing around in a uhaul trailer. Everything will be ok in your car. The trip through Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa Isn't going to be full of potholes, land mines, ice storms or giant aliens attempting to ruin your instruments. It will.simply be mind-numbingly boring once you get into Nebraska.

Haha. I actually like Western Nebraska a lot. Utah is amazing.

Thanks, Farview.

I put the amp in a box and then packed all my clothes around it. I stuffed a big hoodie in the back of the cabinet so the tubes don't move. I remember from when I learned how to boat they always said to put the heaviest stuff near the center, which is why I wanted to put the amp in the back seat. TBH i don't think it will even fit with the guitars in there. It would be on their cases and that weight wouldn't be good. I guess in the trunk but up against the back seat as much as possible. This of course assuming Richard Branson's hot air balloon falls through.

A fender Princeton will not capsize your car, no matter where you put it. Even in a trailer, I'm not sure the 40lbs would make much difference.

I've done western Nebraska too many times. Except for that arch thing, it's just nothing for 400 miles.

I have thrown my '66 strat in the back of my pickup after a gig and forgot to take it out after I got home....in dead of winter. Freezing rain and ice accumulated that night and I had to chisel it with an ice pick to get it out the next morning. I've left it in a hot car in august and opened the case and it would be sweating. I never had a problem with it.

I'm not proud of the abuse I put that old strat through. My point is ....
throw it in the car and don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I had a 62 strat that nosedived off a 4 foot stage onto a hard floor. Not a bit of damage and still in tune. :D
Those old fenders are pretty durable.

I had a 62 strat that nosedived off a 4 foot stage onto a hard floor. Not a bit of damage and still in tune. :D
Those old fenders are pretty durable.

yep. If you put a Gibson through abuse like that it would have fallen apart....right after the headstock snapped off.

Those fender cases were some tough fuckers too. my grandad had an old truck that the passenger door would fly open sometimes. My old strat flew out the door when I was going around a curve on a dirt road. It was bouncing end over end. Didn't even break a string...but the vintage case was screwed up beyond repair.

You're driving 2000 miles each way to babysit a little cabin in the woods? I think I saw a movie about that. Nice knowing you ... :eek:

Release strings just little bit and only if ship by air (potential very low temperature). Always put film or paper strip between strings and frets, it is important thing most people forget to do, costs nothing, but protects frets from attrition wear (in cases) and accidental hits (in soft bags). Never put something under or over the headstock in the case.
If you are putting something fragile into the transport box/case/carton - use packing/damping materials adequate to weight, it must be not to soft and not to hard, and use it generally in corners - then it works.

Back